Habitat - Indoor :: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:06 pm   Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Good morning to all my turtle lovers, I had two RES turtles gabby and Harold, at six months old herald was approximately 3 1/2 inches in size and Gabby was approximately 1.5" I have since adopted out Harold to a great family and kept Gabby my question is 'she is now seven months old and still approximately 1.5 inches in shell length, I know that they do not to grow according to their tank size but I just want to know that at seven months old is 1.5-2 inches normal and at what age are they considered fully grown adults! She's still in her 10 gallon aquarium with more than enough room to swim and play but I was considering buying a 40 gallon aquarium for her tomorrow but will that be too big ?
I also would like to add some fish to the aquarium with her- are there any types of fish that would be an absolute NO to put in an the aquarium with her , and would one of those allergy eaters suckers fish be an OK addition to the aquarium?
Thank you I hope everyone has a sweet week
Hugs to all,
SeaTurtleGirl72
P.S and yes she is healthy and she loves her many pallets and lettuce
SeaTurtleGirl72

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 pm   Re: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Now a days most long time turtle keeper us 1" shell =10 gallons water. Helps for exercise and to control the water parameters for a happy and healthy turtle. Seven months old at 1.5-2" is about right. Still to young to tell sex for sure. I know hoping a girl? When she get's to sexual maturity around 3-4" then you will know for sure and then to can plan a setup to the sex. Males RES's full grown 9" and RES females will get 12".
You could make an "ATBA" for that 10 gallon and buy you some time , but only some time. That way you could fill 10 gallons full and maybe save an upgrade? Gabby is not to small for a larger tank (40 gallon) , at about 6 months they are very good swimmers. You offer more room and will use it. If you fill the 40 half way and have basking in tank good ! When gets bigger then DIY "ATBA" for the 40 gallon and save another up grade , filling all 40 up. If you are unsure about size just offer some resting spots in the tank. RES's love to swim as much as basking , and she will love you for it. Once the day comes and know 100% the sex then you can plan on that final tank size. What you and most people are going through is why I always setup a tank for an adult size. It saves me a lot of money and I have several extra 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks so I use them , being retired it helps. Oh some turtles grow at a consistent pace and then others grow in spurt's. If a female one day you will say what the hell you been eating... you grew ? Just like kids one day a baby then 6' tall !!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:16 pm   Re: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

I have the 10 gallon tank full up till about 4 inches from the top of the tank she seems to be a great swimmer she swims all over the place she loves to flip and play in the current of the filter, what is "ATBA"?
Any suggestions on what type of fish would be ok (or not) to place in the tank with her? What about and allergy eater (sucker fish) are they compatible together
Thank you for the help
SeaTurtleGirl72

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:33 pm   Re: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Google "ATBA" for turtles click on images for some ideas. Above Tank Basking Area ! Works well for glass tanks !
Fish are to me treated as treats. You don't need many. Rosy red minnows or cheap guppies are good if you just want to see movement but will become turtle food.
I breed my own (in a breeder tank , also have a plant tank) LPS's don't take of feeders or even feed them , very sickly and even ill. If you do , pick them out yourself.
Plecos work well with turtles. Problem they produce about the same amount of waste as they eat so ...? There are better way to control algae like the old school ways.
Turtles love air stone too.

Hey , if that day comes and Gabby's a boy how about Gabe? That's why I tell people to pick a unisex name ! Me I go by the cloaca , now I know for sure and then a name.

Also if you do get that 40 do not get rid of the ten. Would make a great plant and breeder tank for minnows. Free Food !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:45 pm   Re: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Great ideas thank you so much.... I really appreciate it!! And if Gabby turns out to be a male then "Gabe" it is lol.. I'm going to order a small air pump and air stone today, I just started noticing allergy growing on the sides of the tank this last couple of weeks I need to upgrade my filter, I purchased a Fluval 406 already but it's a little big right now for the 10 gallon I think! But I definitely need a better filter system and the 10 gallon this small one that I have is just not cutting it! For the allergy right now I'm just doing total water changes about once a week, I had read somewhere that liquid allergy control for the water was not good for the turtles "is that true ?
SeaTurtleGirl72

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:21 pm   Re: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Just an idea , if you really dislike that small filter you could experiment with different types of media. (Fine , med , course) or rearrange whats in it , place on top what gets dirty fastest so you can remove it alone easier?

With larger water volume you will not have to do 100% changes and never want to. You will be able to have tank cycle and 20% water changes the most unless a problem . DO Not use that algae control...I Never use Any chemicals Never! We in turtle keeping are always trying to find a way to keep things out the water so we have the control. And yes there are ways to control thing's without chemicals.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:13 pm   Re: Is she too small, will a bigger aquarium be to big

Her size sounds OK to me too, plus Harold probably ate some of her food. It's hard to gauge what would be considered fully grown since their growth rate can wildly vary. Also, a basic 40 gallon aquarium should cost no more than $40... and look into the Aqueon brand. A better filter/air pump won't really help cut down algae. Is there any sunlight reaching the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor