Habitat - Indoor :: What's the best filter?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm   What's the best filter?

So,I'm planning to get a filter for my 40 gallon tank..So what brand should i get?
astera12345

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:03 pm   Re: What's the best filter?

Filters are rated for fish gallons , turtles need 2-4x's flow due to the amount of waste and being messy. Filter with 2x's flow you will clean more than one with 4x's flow and good media placement. How much maintenance you really like to do , it's up to you.

Here's a chart little old but may help : http://www.redearslider.com/filter_chart.html

Also you need one that does mechanical , chemical , biological !

Here's good read on media placement : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

Myself I like Fluval , also Eheim is good and PennPlax is ok.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 pm   Re: What's the best filter?

Fluval seems like a very popular brand...I might get that one..Since i have a 40 gallon tank,should I get the 306 or 406..406 is too expensive for me.So i'm wondering will the 306 works fine?Oh and if i were to clean my filter,which part should i wash?And do i need to replace the carbon,sponge etc?
astera12345

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:21 am   Re: What's the best filter?

If you cant afford something like an fx6 or ehiem equivalent, buy the biggest filter you can afford, because as litefoot pointed out turtles are messy and a full grown adult can range from about 5 inches to upwards of 12 inches.

As for cleaning; weekly water changes is a must, 25% is usually enough, never do more then 50%. Cleaning the filter should be done at the very least monthly unless your water is really dirty. Use tank water to rinse the bio media as tap water will kill off the benificial bacteria. Bio media should never be changed unless its falling apart. Foam can be cleaned with tap water but if you have tank water left use that to rinse the foam too. Foam also only need to be changed when falling apart.

Carbon should be changed every month or if you notice a fishy/musty smell coming from the tank. Carbon and other chem media can last longer or need to be changed more frequently depending on how dirty your water gets. Basically your going to have to figure it out yourself on when you need to change it. Some chem media can be reused, like seachem purigen (if you choose to use it,) as long as you follow the directions on how to reuse it properly. The plastic parts of the filter (canister, media baskets, impeller) can be cleaned with tap water, though you might need a brush to help get the gunk/sludge off.

Edit: I forgot to mention some companies, like fluval, sell carbon in the form of foam. If you use that type of carbon, treat it like regular carbon and not foam. Once carbon is used up it serves no purpose and needs to be replaced even if its foam.
Inmate1024

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:17 am   Re: What's the best filter?

If it's whats in your budget the fluval 306 is suitable of 70 fish gallons , could work in that 40 gallon turtle tank. You will never be able to go a month between cleanings but its a good filter for about 25 gallons of "turtle water" for a baby turtle.
Good filter media can help see here : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145
Last I heard your turtle is about four inches? You will or should clean every week to keep water parameters correct. Testing water as a beginner is a must with any filter. Also proper cleaning must be done as Inmate says above. It must be done on a precise schedule to have those parameters correct and clean water. Also water changes must be done too ! A filter with larger media capacity and more flow can go longer between cleanings. You have already experienced slimy problems and problem water in the past , a cleaning schedule is a must with a smaller filter , really any filter. A correctly sized filter for a turtles mess will make the maintenance easier and I know how we all love doing maintenance ! Maybe you could run the 306 and your old filter that could help , with the right media. Me I would setup the old filter with all bio and one pad on top to keep it clean that way you really only have to clean the top pad on that filter until you have to rinse bio out with tank water. Then the 306 setup for a turtle as on media thread. Can't hurt.

Maybe you can save up for one with a larger flow and media capacity or use what you have for now and clean it much more often ! Christmas coming up any birthdays ? Ask for turtle things or money to get them yourself ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:48 am   Re: What's the best filter?

How much water in the 40 gallon?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 am   Re: What's the best filter?

steve wrote:How much water in the 40 gallon?

3/4 ish
astera12345

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 am   Re: What's the best filter?

Do you plan on upgrading soon, or will you keep if for a few years?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:14 am   Re: What's the best filter?

steve wrote:Do you plan on upgrading soon, or will you keep if for a few years?

Probably keep it for a few years.
astera12345

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:29 pm   Re: What's the best filter?

Filter yes for now since you already experienced problem water. But I start saving up for a larger home , if I remember your turtle should be about 4" now ? That 306 will work today with weekly cleaning but for any upgrade it will be undersized ! That's why most are saying larger the better on the filter , plan ahead.

3/4ish on the water ??? fill all 40 gallons and make a simple DIY "ATBA". Your turtle will appreciate it.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:06 pm   Re: What's the best filter?

I have the 306 on my (all the way full) 29 gallon. Works pretty well. But I got it off Craigslist. I don't know that I would have paid full price for it, because I'm going to need to upgrade eventually.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 am   Re: What's the best filter?

litefoot wrote:Filter yes for now since you already experienced problem water. But I start saving up for a larger home , if I remember your turtle should be about 4" now ? That 306 will work today with weekly cleaning but for any upgrade it will be undersized ! That's why most are saying larger the better on the filter , plan ahead.

3/4ish on the water ??? fill all 40 gallons and make a simple DIY "ATBA". Your turtle will appreciate it.

it's more than half but lesser than 3/4 ..does that make sense?I would fill all but since my turtle likes to beg for food,she's gonna splash the water everywhere.
astera12345

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:50 am   Re: What's the best filter?

I would probably choose an Eheim Classic over a Fluval 306. If you were to upgrade soon, I would either get a higher end Eheim or pick up something simpler, like an AquaClear.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor