Habitat - Indoor :: Cloudy Water and 4ppm Ammonia/Ammonium Levels

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:21 pm   Cloudy Water and 4ppm Ammonia/Ammonium Levels

Hello,

I am taking care of my school's red-eared slider for the summer during our summer school sessions. I am very nervous because last week our janitors messed with the turtle filter (I'm sure on accident) turned it off and left it off all night (BUT left on our turtle's lights all night!)

When I came back the next day, the water was super white and cloudy and the filter refused to start. After I added a ton of tap water to our tank and reset the filter using tap water the filter worked and I thought all was great.

However it has been a week and the water is still white and cloudy when looking from the side angles (from above it looks slightly cloudy but mostly clear). I tested the ammonia/ammonium levels of the water and it was 4ppm. I am super worried that I somehow messed up our filter and am scared to put the turtle in the tank. I replaced 10% of the water today with bottled water to try and reduce nitrogen levels, but they are still 4ppm.

What should I do to make sure that our turtle is safe until our new filter arrives?!?!?! :/

Thanks!
MsHenry

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 pm   Re: Cloudy Water and 4ppm Ammonia/Ammonium Levels

How much water is in there? I would probably do a complete water change and rinse everything out.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor