Habitat - Indoor :: Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm   Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

Hi there!

I am setting up a 75 gallon tank for a baby red eared slider and I have a question on filtration. I was thinking about using Fluval's FX 4 or FX 6. Is anyone using these filters for their RES tanks and if so, how has the experience been. I have an FX 6 on a fishtank and love it , but wasn't sure if that would be "too much".

thanks much!

-R.
TurtleGirl92

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:12 am   Re: Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

FX are great canisters, but you're right.. it can be too strong. I believe you can restrict the flow, but that reduces their life span. You can decide on a custom intake tube (something like a PVC tube with holes drilled into it) or maybe using some piping to split it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 pm   Re: Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

So Steve you finally took that FX out the box and set it up ?

TurtleGirl I have always setup a tank for any turtle ( BABY) as an adult tank with adult filter. If system did not have a valve to adjust flow I added one. I found this saved me money on all those small upgrades over time. I have been doing this for decades and If done "correct" will not shorten the life of a pump. I still have an old pondmaster pressurized system I use for two 150 gallon tanks cranked down for over 20 years. Only thing I had to do was change the power switch due to flood water from a Hurricane and the impeller I think after 15 years to wear and tear. It's a Pondmaster ! That's dam good life. I today also have an FX6 on my indoor pond cranked down. Outlet side only !!!

What I mean by correct is you must use the "outlet" only to control the flow ! A Must ! Impeller always in water and to prevent any erratic flow. Any inconsistent flow can cause impeller to crack which can cause the magnetic drive motor to overheat which will then demagnetize the magnets and there goes your motor. Have seen the intake cranked down "Wrong" that will cause the motor to pump dry the canister and yes shorten the life and or burn up motor ! Hear some crank both in /out down "Wrong" only thing that will shorten the life too and cause a noisy impeller and break it . Ever hear one with an air lock ! If done as I have for years with same pump's on several tanks that all were oversized , that is use the "Outlet" side you will be ok. That way always have water in canister and your impeller will never be at a variable speed to cause problems.

So many things you can do to reduce flow , play with the outlet , DIY system , with without diffuser and also crank it down and that little baby will be find. I have done this for several decades with no problems on the "outlet" side !!! You can do some homework on this to understand better , hope I got what I have done for several decades across , the "outlet " side to control flow only ! If and when you as I have researched this will find all that killed a pump all closed off the "inlet" side ! One person over the years say they didn't do it wrong , I sent them there picture back to them showing the INLET side cranked down not the outlet. Hope I made myself clear ! I have been doing this over 50 years , but It's your call !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:33 am   Re: Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

Thanks the replies!

I am definitely familiar with cranking down on the outlet side only - we do that with our two reef tanks,and it works well.

The tank I am setting up is a 75 and will be about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. My question is b/t the FX6 and FX4 - assuming I do not restrict the outlet, which one would you go with? I think the FX6 would have to be restricted. Not sure about the FX4 though. I love the FX series for it's simplicity and hope to go with it.
TurtleGirl92

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 am   Re: Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

That's great on the cranking down ! The FX4 has output of 700 and the FX6 is 925 so just my opinion the 4 would have to be cranked down a little to. It's truly your call. Myself I like the 5.25 filtration media the 6 has whereas the 4 is only 3.7. I always oversize , but then that's me. Also last month I checked prices for another member and found the FX6 is on sale more than the 4. I did find it as low as $250 with free shipping. If you would go with the 6 then when / if you upgrade tank size down the road you will already have the filter. There are members here using the FX6 on 55 gallon tanks full with ATBA's and they love it , hope they chime in to help. Also as you may know can play with the output nozzle to help what type of flow would work best for you.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 am   Re: Setting up Red Eared Slider Tank - Newbie Questions

litefoot... no, still in their boxes.

I would also lean towards the the FX6.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor