Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:30 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Ok, so far I've have the GFCI/AFCI outlet on order, as well as the 300W 5/8" Hydor ETH heater.
I also ended up going with the TurtleTopper as opposed to building my own, as I was able to get it for about $25. I know it won't fit a larger tank without modifications, but then I'd have to build something else when I get the bigger tank anyways.
I'll be making a trip to home depot later today to pick up some plumbing supplies, so I'm ready for when the heater gets here.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:09 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Wow , where did you find a turtle topper big enough for two 10" turtles and for $25 ? Send a link like to see it !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:28 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

I'm not expecting them to both use it at the same time, but it is this one, http://www.turtletopper.com/ . The dimentions are 17x14, so they might be able to both be in there.
Remember I have a small 55 gal tank at the moment, and can't upgrade to a larger tank till I move in the spring.
I bought it from a company on ebay, and used an ebay coupon for $15 dollars off. Amazon has it for $32, though.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Hope your turtles are truly not 10" each . Asked someone to measure hers for "max size" of turtle to use ( 8 1/2" ) and that would be a very tight fit just to get in it. Her turtle is 7" and I am working with her for a different larger type. Her turtle has to get one leg in at a time to fit. A basking area needs to be easy for a turtle to use ! Dimensions are given of the footprint , the outside measurements , not where turtle will be. There video use's a standard 55 gallon to show it , same as what you have and topper may just be small for your turtles being 10" each. Even as you state not expecting both in it at same time ? They put 2 // 5" clamp lights on top and the can not place them side by side , have to angle them to squeeze them on top so that alone is less than 10" . The opening is small for your 10" turtles , the whole front is not open you will have to modify if used !
Wish you luck.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Finally got everything setup. The first turtle topper I ordered got lost, so I had to get a refund, and then just turned around and got one from amazon. Built my pipe configuration as drawn earlier, with pvc, barb fittings, and vinyl hose. Replaced the plug in the wall with an AFCI/GFCI, That was a chore, as it sits just behind the edge of a heavy bookshelf. Had to empty and move two heavy bookcases to get to it. With the turtle topper I couldn't put the intake where I wanted to earlier, so it is now basically in the middle of the tank. The turtles both love their new environment. They are both swimming around, and they can even both fit inside the turtle topper, though a little tight.
Everything went together fairly well, no leaks as of yet.
Now I need to get some acrylic while in town next, so can put lids over the tank, Never had lids before, but now the turtles are close enough to the top that they can splash water out of the tank. Also worried they might claw their way over the edge and go for free-fall.
Think I'll get some plastic mesh as well to tie around the ramp. The turtles can quickly get up the ramp, but I've seen people online use the plastic mesh to give them better claw holds. Figure it will make it easier for them.
Last edited by jbaccanti on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

I ended up with an FX4, and while I had been worried that on a small tank like this it would turn it into a wave pool, it is fairly calm. I now at this point wouldn't have any fear of even using an FX6. Of course, an FX6 at least from what I could find lately is much more expensive, and it would have been tight to fit it under the tank.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:32 am   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Don't forget to use a drip loop with your wires. Some of the lids posted on the site had used some hinges with acrylic. What kind of plastic mesh are you thinking of? Would bathtub grips work?
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor