Habitat - Indoor :: Plants in pots?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm   Plants in pots?

Does anyone have any suggestions for growing plants in like pots or small plastic containers inside my tank? I don't want to use substrate for the entire tank so I thought to put it in the pots instead so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for how to keep them alive, what to grow, etc. I plan on planting Anubis, Amazon Sword and Java Fern, but I want to plant around 4-5 so I am open to more plant suggestions. I won't add them for a while, mostly bc I want to update my turtles tank to a 55 gallon and I want to wait to add them until I get the new tank.
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:03 pm   Re: Plants in pots?

Anything would probably get destroyed by your RES. How big is the tank? Have you looked at other options for decorations?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 pm   Re: Plants in pots?

The only live plant my turtle hasn't destroyed completely was Java Moss, but with that, he would break it up and it would clog the filter. So it's all fake plants for now.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 am   Re: Plants in pots?

I want to plants to help manage the water quaility and to provide a healthy snack for Squirt. Should I perhaps try out one plant to see how much he tears it up/if I can deal with the mess? I also plan to get some moss balls eventsully unless those get badly torn up too? I'm just concerned because his tank gets really messy. He's in a 30 gallon right now but like I said above I plan to upgrade him into a 55 gallon soon.
Squirt's Owner

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 am   Re: Plants in pots?

I think upgrading to a 55 and having adequate filtration will do more than plants. Just prepare to be mildly disappointed and annoyed with live plants ;-)
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 pm   Re: Plants in pots?

I also have an idea that you might want to try if you REALLY want plants. Could be neat in a 55 gallon. If you get one of those fish breeder net dividers, or one of those cube-like things that fish can fit through but not your turt, maybe you could anchor the plants in there? That way, they would get some light and be in your tank, but your turtle couldn't get to them. You could break off pieces for snacks if they do well.
Kingbird44

Return to Habitat - Indoor