Habitat - Indoor :: Ways to secure tank top?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm   Ways to secure tank top?

Hello Everyone!

I'm back with a new question. I recently upgraded Cecil's tank to a Marineland 75. It's very nice in that it's wide and taller than her previous tank and comes on a stand. My stepfather built a nice basking thing for her in the tank and I got a new filter system too.

The problem is the top and I'll try to explain since I can never get pictures to load here. The top is glass that you set down on top. It rests in grooves around the edge. There's a divider in the middle of the tank so it's actually two pieces of glass. And the glass itself folds back on itself to allow you access into the tank.

On the side over the water I didn't bother to lay down the glass. It's not necessary there. But I do have it down over her basking spot because she's a big girl and the basking platform my stepfather built is tall. If she wanted to she could easily climb out of the tank from it and the fall would kill her. But there's no way to secure the glass. It's just resting on top. So right now I have a box on it to weigh it down but I'm not thrilled with the added weight doing that. Plus the box is in the way of her lighting so right now I have her lights rigged to go in sideways which is not ideal.

So my question is this. Is there any way to secure a glass top like that? I tried a bungee cord but there's nothing for it to latch onto. Would cage clips work? I know those are usually for screened tops so I wasn't sure. Or do you guys have any hacks for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance!
zana

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm   Re: Ways to secure tank top?

Usually resting on the lip of the rim and it’s own weight is enough. Feel free to email me pics and it I will post them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm   Re: Ways to secure tank top?

I use some egg crate styrene lighting panel that I cut to dimensions over my basking area. Then I added some stainless steel bolts, washers, and wing nuts to secure it. Lower washers fit around the edge of the tank, upper washers to tighten down with the wing nuts. No escapes since then.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:22 pm   Re: Ways to secure tank top?

Is your basking light shining through that glass divider? Asking because glass filters UVB.
VeipaCray

Return to Habitat - Indoor