Habitat - Indoor :: White Particles Floating on Water Surface

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 am   White Particles Floating on Water Surface

Hello all,

My water in my aquarium seems to have floating white "specks" on the surface of the water lately (probably on and off extreme for the past month or two). I can use a net to scoop the particles out and this will keep it at bay for a few days. However, it seems to come back after that. It's getting pretty tiring needing to manually skim the surface of the water on a weekly (sometimes 2x a week) basis... Tesla seems to be acting completely normal, as if these particles don't bother him. It's mostly a paranoia/aesthetic annoyance for me.

My questions are:
  • What is this? From what I've read online, these particles could be anything from proteins to fungus to bacteria bloom.
  • What steps should I take to fight it off?
  • Is there any way I can test my water to narrow it down to what the cause is?
  • Tesla has a plastic bridge and some silk and plastic plants, should I disinfect those?
  • Should I clean the filter? I'm sure he's due for a good cleaning, so that should help right?

I'm at work right now, but I can take some pictures when I get home. Thanks.
Electrical Engineer, animal lover, video game nerd.
1 RES - Mr. Tesla
ElectricTurtle

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:53 pm   Re: White Particles Floating on Water Surface

Might be mold or possibly some dispersed semen. It probably shouldn't happen often, so I would clean everything out just in case. Any sort of real wood in his tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:55 pm   Re: White Particles Floating on Water Surface

If you're lazy like me and have a few extra bucks to spend, Eheim makes a small surface skimmer filter.

https://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Skim-350-A ... B00D5WHBFC
VeipaCray

Return to Habitat - Indoor