Habitat - Indoor :: bulding new habitat need input

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:17 pm   bulding new habitat need input

About two years ago my son won this tiny RES at a local street fair. He was just about the size of a quarter. I found this site and with all the wonderful information found here I'm happy to say he is still alive and doing well. I say he because I'm not 100% sure but I am about 80% sure it's a male. He is currently in the same 20gal storage tote he's been in since we got him. He is not growing very fast and is still only about 2.5" in shell length. But seems very active and healthy.

But the time has come to upgrade him to his forever home. I have a spare room that I'm going to set up as a turtle/fish room. I've decided the turtle is going to go into an indoor pond/natural type habitat. I've been looking around and ideally would like to use the 100gal Rubbermade stock tank for him. However my wife found a 50gal preformed pond liner that she much prefers the look of. I've expressed my concerns with 50gals not being enough when he gets to be fully grown but she is really pushing me hard to not get the 100gal. I like the idea of having the extra water capacity as well as not having to build a strong support system for it as would have to with a pond liner. I looked at a 110gal pond liner but it would be way too big for the little room it's going into.

It's hard to say how big he is going to get but given his size at around two years I don't think he's going to be a big turtle. I'm pretty sure I know what the consensus here will be but is there any scenario in which the 50gal would be acceptable?
nicksta43

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 am   Re: bulding new habitat need input

It could be OK. There are benefits to more water aside from swimming space and upkeep might be more work. I would just not consider it as a forever home... you might want to make some changes down the line.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 am   Re: bulding new habitat need input

Maybe you could propose something to her to hide the ugly rubbermaid. I understand her wanting to have something pretty to look at, but at the same time, the well being of an animal is far more important. Even with costs, it's aways better to go big instead of buying something new all the time :)
Maybe something like this:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5e/de/c3 ... 646a0d.jpg
Or even some natural wallpapers which you can find in any home depot:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... Hc02-jJ1hV

It would be a bit of extra work, but I would think it's less complicated than having to build a stand?
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:31 pm   Re: bulding new habitat need input

It's going to be fully hidden. I'm going to try to make it as natural as possible. I think I've decided to go with the 100gal stock tank.
nicksta43

Post Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:53 pm   Re: bulding new habitat need input

Good to hear! For what its worth, the nicest preformed ponds and stock tanks I've seen are decorated similarly, with basically the same principles involved. The additional pros with stock tanks include drain plug, water depth, and free standing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:58 am   Re: bulding new habitat need input

Your turtle is gonna be very happy about that!
Will you be able to share some pictures when you will have it installed? :)
PokePony

Return to Habitat - Indoor