Habitat - Indoor :: UVB Lighting area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm   UVB Lighting area

Hello,

I am planning on getting a new basking area. The one that goes above the tank, but it only looks like there will
be enough room for one lamp. Could I just put the heat lamp over the basking area and then put the UVB over the water where the turtle will swim? If not, what would you do? I really want the out of water basking area so he has more room to swim and I can fill the tank up more. What kind of UVB bulb would you suggest? I have one right now but it’s almost been a year since i bought it so i think it time for a new one. Let me know !

Thanks !

I have a 55 gallon tank btw
mmerton

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 pm   Re: UVB Lighting area

UVB won’t be effective over the water. Maybe you can have the heat lamp at an angle? Or look into a MVB. They and UVB lamps should be pointed straight down.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 am   Re: UVB Lighting area

Thank you ! Would a mercury Vapor Bulb be okay? It is UVA, UVB and heat all in one.
mmerton

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 am   Re: UVB Lighting area

It puts out a lot of uvb/heat, so make sure your set up can accommodate one. You might need a stand for it, and if you have a cat, find some way to keep them away.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am   Re: UVB Lighting area

Okay thanks! So how high would you recommend i have it from the basking area? Sorry for all the questions, i’m pretty new to turtle keeping.
mmerton

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 pm   Re: UVB Lighting area

How high depends on the wattage. The mega ray from reptile uv is the most popular, check their Facebook page for a coupon on it. It will have directions for distance and make sure you have an accurate thermometer to make sure it does not get too hot.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor