Habitat - Indoor :: Thoughts on Temperature Variance?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 pm   Thoughts on Temperature Variance?

I've read the guidelines about temperature, but does anyone know how much turtles are effected by temperature variance within the prescribed areas? I used to think that you try to keep it "at" a temperature, but recently I've been allowing it to fluctuate fairly normally, but keeping the heater at about 72 sort of as a stop gap (my normal evening indoor temperatures rarely go below 70 anyways). But this means on most days my turtles have been having a 3-5 degree variance between day and night temps. I figure this has got to be close to their normal situation (realizing that real ponds maintain a temperature far more consistent than my 80 gallons).

Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other about temperature variance?
ekuyper

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 pm   Re: Thoughts on Temperature Variance?

For me, it depends on the age and how quickly it changes. Plus, healthy RES can handle a larger temp drop... I would just be extra cautious with hatchlings.

My preferred range is a bit higher than yours, but I wouldn't have an issue with what you're doing. On (accidental) occasions its gotten even colder.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:26 am   Re: Thoughts on Temperature Variance?

I don't keep a heater nor a heat bulb with my turtles, I let them adapt to the temperature (I might add a few ice cubs in the water during summer because it's hotter inside than outside).
But only because the weather/temperature is pretty close to Florida (warmer winter though). So temperature varies between 22 - 28. I don't want to add heat bulb and the likes because they will eventually end up outside in a pond, so I want them to be used to the temperature changes.

I think with reptiles the more natural the better, so I think what you do is better than having a fixed temp. all year long :)
PokePony

Return to Habitat - Indoor