Habitat - Indoor :: Filtration opinions?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm   Filtration opinions?

Howdy folks,

So, I decided to upgrade just a small amount for the time being: from a 29 gal to a 40 breeder.

I was just curious as to your opinions on filtration. I currently have a Fluval 306 running, and it does pretty well. I also have a 2nd 306 sitting in the basement. I bought it a while ago in anticipation of eventually upgrading, and so I could use it for spare parts in the meantime.

But now, I would like to maximize filtration while minimizing unnecessary energy use. Running two 306s on the 40 gal seems like overkill, and I don't really want to do that if its not needed. Does that seem logical? My other options then would be a) just keep the current filtration, and keep up with water changes as needed or b) keep the 306 running and buy something else small to compliment it.

Thoughts? I also may go from bare bottom to sand. But I might try that out in the 29 gal first. I won't upgrade for another month or two, probably.

Thanks!
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 am   Re: Filtration opinions?

I would just see how the single Fluval 306 does. I don't think these filters use much energy, but lets keep it simple for now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 am   Re: Filtration opinions?

Ok thanks Steve. That sounds good!

Being the eco nerd I am, I have looked up and calculated the energy use. True, it's not much compared to heaters, but it isn't insignificant. ;)
Kingbird44

Return to Habitat - Indoor