Habitat - Indoor :: Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:53 pm   Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

Hey Everyone,

This is probably the simplest question in the world, but I'm having a very difficult time finding a larger turtle tank. My vet recommends close to 100 gallons. After hours of Googling, all of the tanks that I can find for turtles seem to cap off at 40 Gallons. Really, all I need is the glass part. It doesn't need to be attached to any cabinetry or anything. So my question is:

Where are you finding all of your large tanks? Can anyone recommend any brands that they have purchased or where they found them? Thank in advance.
saturnflair2009

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm   Re: Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

Hey there,

Large glass tanks are heavy and expensive. A good option is going for a stock tank. I can personally recommend the Rubbermaid stock tanks. You can find them available at Tractor Supply stores. I keep juveniles in a 50 gallon, but they go up to 300 gallons. Tough, much lighter than glass tanks, and cheaper. Negatives being that it is not exactly visually appealing, and you will not be able to see your turtles from the side, unless you do some custom fitting of viewing panels or something.
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:02 am   Re: Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

I agree with rambologic, stock tanks should always be considered. I think you might be searching for the wrong thing... don't look for a "turtle tank", but an aquarium. "Turtle tanks" are actually a poor choice, and you can usually find good used aquariums. Make sure it's not a terrarium, as those use thin glass and not meant to hold any significant amount of water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 pm   Re: Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

Keep an eye on facebook marketplace and creigslist too. I just got a good clean 75 gallon aquarium for $55 with a cabinet stand. Options are endless I saw a GREAT out door set up in an old bathtub.
TabiCat

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:47 am   Re: Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

That's a nice deal! I picked up one of my tanks/stand on craigslist too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:42 pm   Re: Finding a Larger Turtle Tank

Man that's a nice deal I'm trying to find a 75 gal as well for my single female RES however I'm soon going to be moving so I might wait.
MikeCL

Return to Habitat - Indoor