Habitat - Indoor :: DIY filter help

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:47 pm   DIY filter help

im looking into either a 100 or 150 gallon stock tub tank for trumpet and want to diy a filter for it. it will probably have space at the top to prevent him from having another escape.

i have what i want to do basically worked out; water flows through a pump into a plastic tub (smaller stock tank? just a regular rubbermaid plastic storage tub?). it would go through the lid of that and into a bucket full of mechanical filter media, and then would drain from the bottom of that bucket into the bottom of the tub and through a basket full of bio media (probably those scrubby sponge things everyone uses, cant remember the name) and maybe some bio balls, which would go through a pipe and back into the tank

so how big of a filter tub would i need? does that matter? how many gph should the pump be? the pumps im looking at currently range from 550 gph to 656 gph; is that too much? should i do more? is there a certain brand that's recommended, or certain brands i should avoid?

while im at it, what's the best way to do a basking dock in these kinds of tanks (and the best way to rig up a light, because i doubt ill be able to hang it)? and do stock tanks need a lid?
binji

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 am   Re: DIY filter help

Hi again , at one time all my filters where DIY's. What you are planning can work. For that size stock tank I had a container large enough to hold 5 gallons of bio media alone with a few course pads to keep them clean and it worked. I had old pond master pumps that I used on several tanks , the 150 gallon had a 800gph flow but 550/656 could work. The media will slow your rate down some . In the decades I've been around I have found that keeping a proper cycled tank is your filters best friend. It if held (cycle) by breaking down solid waste to dissolved a filter can do a great job. Some want a filter to pick up solid waste and do the maintenance for them. Nature does better , to me cycling and maintaining one is key. My 150 gallon stock tank today is filtered by an FX6 just because I am an old man now and it's smaller than what I had made. K2 media works too ! Tumbling / moving bed type.

Basking docks for stock tanks see some of my ( Piggley's) photos in gallery I use cork and or modify OTC type.

Most problems is when some people only setup a filter with the pads that came with it. Most filters are setup for fish not turtles. When one adjust the media to fit a turtles messy ways I have found they do the job if sized correctly to a turtle.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:56 pm   Re: DIY filter help

ok! it's no problem to up the gph for the pump, i was just wondering what would work best or if one that's too large would fill the filter tub up too quickly and flood (even with overflows)

and it would be nice to have a filter to pick up solid waste, but i have no problem scooping it out with a net. what media do you find provides the best mechanical filtration?

also, your tank looks lovely!
binji

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:43 pm   Re: DIY filter help

Thanks' I use biohome media. https://greatwaveeng.com/shop/media/bio ... ate-media/

As far as the mechanical , any course media , my mechanical filter area holds 325.5"
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 pm   Re: DIY filter help

im looking into getting a 110g stock tub that has a fairly large foot print that i think may be not be too heavy for my floor (if i shove it in a corner lmao).

the footprint is 53x36", so the footprint is about 15 feet. i want to put 2 inches of sand in the bottom to plant, and ill probably fill it up with about a foot of water so theres room at the top to prevent him from crawling out (ill probably make some sort of wire screen to go over top eventually) so that's around 100 gallons of water if i did my math correctly ( and honestly i probably didnt,, im so bad at math,,,,)

what would be the best flow rate for this tank? what size pump should i buy, and how much water should it move in an hour? ill probably just use a 5 gallon bucket and run the water from the pump through the top and over a few decently sized pieces of filter foam and filter floss, with a basket of pot scrubbers and maybe some other assorted media on the bottom
binji

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:13 pm   Re: DIY filter help

also, can the pump be placed directly into the tank where the turtle is? or like,,,,,,
binji

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:22 pm   Re: DIY filter help

That's close to my stock tank. It' a structural foam Rubbermaid at 58"x39"x25" . With only 125 gals in it to prevent escape. When I had my DIY system my pump it was in the tank , being a footprint close to yours about 15 sq ft and the size of your Trumpet (5-6") male RES you will still have a lot of room for him. Depending on the type you get make sure the inlet is safe , don't want him getting stuck. Can always make a DIY strainer for extra protection.
Your main output line can work with a 1" bulkhead but I did change it to an 1 1/4" outlet to the tank , was much better I think for my setup. That's simple to play with and cheap.

For others around the world reading this , this is my recommendation for "this" turtle size and tank size. It is also what I have now in almost the same setup. My pump output is 925 g/h and filter circulation is 563 g/h . Depending on what media setup you use the flow rate will differ. I use 325 sq in's of course foam with only bio media at about 2 gallons worth. Being a total about 5.28 gallons of filtration volume. I believe in keeping a cycled tank , results for Piggley , crystal clear water . The 5 gallon bucket will work but myself would look for a commercial type 6-8 gallons for safety room and even place a extra overflow with that extra room , safety always.

In general for all readers with turtles being so messy I used these rates over the years : a baby turtle 2x's flow rate that of fish / juveniles 3-4 x's flow rate and adults 4-5 x's flow rate of fish gallons to keep maintenance down. The larger numbers for female RES's bein larger than males. If a "Cooter" many be a little more flow being larger turtles.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 pm   Re: DIY filter help

I'm not sure how well those plants will do in a stock tank. Any particular reason you want to have a diy filter?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 pm   Re: DIY filter help

with the light above them 12 hours a day and how well lit my window leaves my room, i think the plants should be ok. im planning on heavily planting the 50g when the turtle is out of it anyway so raising and moving plants out of that will probably solve any problems i have with plants dying in the stock tank

also, diy is a lot cheaper and more customizable than most commercial filters

also, to heat this tank would a larger eheim shatter proof heater work? what ever pump i put in the tank ill probably cage it with a milk crate or smth to make absolutely sure he cant bother it and can put the heater in the crate to make sure he cant burn himself
binji

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:03 pm   Re: DIY filter help

The plants will do well , just remember they may not end up where you want them. Trumpet will do his best to move them where he wants them. Rooted type's will never stay rooted they love to dig them up just to see what's under them. Trumpet will keep moving them around until he gets you to understand where he wants them. Then you could tie them to something. I find broad leaf plants don't look as good once a bit or two is taken out of them and some are to slow growing to repair themselves. Floating types I find work best and you still can tie them to things for different looks that is if Trumpet likes them there. Also live plants will add maintenance to his tank , no way out of that and a plant tank on the side will keep a good supply for you , free . I never had plants die in my stock tank. Eaten yes ! With some floating plants the rosettes or small pieces broken off will grow into new plants. That's why I like hornwort and water lettuce the best it grows so fast. The water lettuce comes in different type with different roots , some long / some short both look great in a turtle tank and my Piggley loves playing in them.

Too me when I was young DIY was fun. I'm old now and keep it as easy and simple as I can. A note: Before any (DIY) final filter setup test it in the yard first for filling and flows. Better if any mistakes were made , no water in your house. Planning as you are doing is the key. Also you don't need to use the flow rates/pump size I do smaller can and will work. Just make sure the head height will work with your plan ! Just don't go to small that will add more maintenance. Also on the outlet to the filter / to feel safer you can make it even 2" for extra safety. That's why I say yard test it and try different outlet sizes.

Heaters size it to the waters volume and with turtle's I always use a heater shield for safety. Myself I like Eheim TruTemp submersible's I have a model #3619 a 300 watt heater for 125 gallons of water , thermo safety controlled. Yes to some over sized ( rated for 159-264 gallons ) but then it don't have to stay on all night to keep the water heated. I found them to last many years. Works great for me. Wattage will depend on your climate and how you keep your home and water volume. Especially on those rare super cold night / weeks we seem to keep getting. And Piggley like to stay active year round so I keep the tank 78-80*. No slow downs in the winter.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:33 pm   Re: DIY filter help

trumpet can move whatever he pleases as long as hes living his best life tbh. and yeah, with the way he shreds lettuce and knocks needles off the anacharis im already scooping extra pant matter from the tank but i open up the filter and run old tank water over everything that seems dirty when i do my weekly water changes already so it's not too bad

i was planning on running everything outside first, dw!

i didnt even know they made heater guards,,,, ill get one tho, defo! ive used an eheim heater on the betta tank for over a year now and it stills runs perfectly and i just needed a way to make sure he couldnt hurt himself with one
binji

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:56 pm   Re: DIY filter help

Not worried with your good planning , some never plan. I try to be clear for the others around the world reading these post. Depending on heater watch the diameter because shields have different sizes too. Some that get correct size say can't get them on. They have stand off tabs in them. Pushing them on is very hard / the trick is to push and twist them on for a good fit.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor