Habitat - Indoor :: Does salmonella come through grown plants?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:57 pm   Does salmonella come through grown plants?

I'm new to the Hobby. had turtles as a kid, and want to get into it as an adult. I'm reading a ton, and planning out my eventual setup.

I don't have a lot of experience with freshwater fish, but I do have some knowledge and taking care of saltwater fish and things like that.

I have an interest in aquaponics, and would love to be able to combine Turtles with that. I was thinking of setting up planter tray to grow alfalfa sprouts and wheatgrass with no soil before the water hits a biological filter. has anybody done anything like this? Will the salmonella be transferred to the grass it's for my cat. my goal is to grow things like alfalfa sprouts and maybe certain kinds of cabbage or something that the turtle can actually eat as well.

I'm also very interested in spotted turtles for their size, coloring, temperament, and to feel like I'm contributing to their preservation. I'm also interested in breeding them for sale. is that possible? I love in Florida.

I'm interested in using an exo terra wide glass terrarium, https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... OYQAvD_BwE, intended for a different creature, but I saw a video with someone using one. anybody else?
-cj
cieje

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:41 am   Re: Does salmonella come through grown plants?

Hi, welcome to the forum! I don't think I would consume anything that is grown with turtles, especially in an enclosed habitat. Spotteds are pretty neat turtles, and their legality varies by state. Florida has pretty clear rules, so you should be able to get an answer from your local federal sites. I don't think that the terrarium you linked is really big enough for them. You might want to look into something like a breeder tank or a frag tank for them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm   Re: Does salmonella come through grown plants?

one of the main things that attracts me is it's size. since I have ms, I'm concerned with a regular tank because it may be difficult for me to reach over and down, but the exo terra tank has doors. by my estimate, if there's 36x18x4 water, that may be fine for a spotted as they typically live in more shallow waters.

like in this video https://youtu.be/5phK8Bpfh4k
-cj
cieje

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:42 pm   Re: Does salmonella come through grown plants?

Not many people on here have had spotteds since this is a slider-dominant forum. Even then, most of the conversation has been moved over to other social media. So, I'm not too familiar with spotted care but I think that they would be better off in more space than what the Exo Terra provides. That's just my opinion, we usually are more generous with space here.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 pm   Re: Does salmonella come through grown plants?

is there a better forum for spotted turtles? if I can't get them I'd probably go mud or musk. I just can't properly care for a RES down the road.
-cj
cieje

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:38 am   Re: Does salmonella come through grown plants?

I don't know which specific forums, but there are still a couple out there that deal with multiple species. Aside from the size of the tank, spotteds might require the same type of care and might live even longer than RES.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor