Habitat - Indoor :: Plastic and Glass for 125 Gallon?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:03 am   Plastic and Glass for 125 Gallon?

I have a 2.5 year old male RES with a shell length of 5 inches, currently in a 40 gallon glass aquarium. He's a little too big for it, so I want to upgrade to 80 gallons or bigger so I'll never have to upgrade him again. I also want to decorate the tank without using up his open swimming space, so I want to get a 125 gallon aquarium to allow 45 gallons extra for decorations. I want to get one as cheap as possible, and preferably long and wide and short, as many of the taller tanks aren't ideal for turtles and won't fit in my available space. I've found custom cut glass is very pricy. I never look at the tank from the back or sides, or the bottom obviously, and was wondering if I could make it out of something cheaper, like thick plastic, and just have the front panel be glass. Could I just build the tank like a regular glass tank, but applying the silicone and attaching the glass to the plastic, or will this not work? All responses are appreciated!
spottedsnake

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:46 pm   Re: Plastic and Glass for 125 Gallon?

Are you sure he's a male? Sounds just a little too big for that age. What you're describing sounds like a plywood aquarium. Very doable though most who make on are going for 300+ gallons. There are plenty of DIY pages/videos out there for this, it's an idea that has been around awhile. Here's a 720 that someone on the forums is making -- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39238

Also, silicone does not stick well to plastic/acrylic... it will result in a disastrous failure.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:45 pm   Re: Plastic and Glass for 125 Gallon?

Thanks a bunch! He has a thick tail and long claws so I think he's male, but I did feed him too much protein when he was younger (I hadn't done a lot of research at that point) and that probably contributes to him being oversized. Thanks for your input on the tank, I'll look into a plywood tank!
spottedsnake

Return to Habitat - Indoor