Habitat - Indoor :: Flora max substrate

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:04 am   Flora max substrate

Hi I'm pretty new to turtle keeping I wanted to grow plants and use floramax is it harmful to turtles I can't find a straight answer.
Nico1025

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:45 am   Re: Flora max substrate

CaribSea flora max is great for a planted tank but I say no for a turtle tank. Others will say it's ok until they experience there first blockage in there turtle. A turtle breaths like us so nothing in the max is bad. It's the particle size on some of it. You can sift it to remove any that he can eat causing a blockage. Once a turtle is about 2" that natural instinct kicks in fully. Will dig up anything just to see whats under it , very curious ! You can not watch them 24/7. A camcorder on the tank when not around will show you how they dig everything up. Even on a very good diet will still hunt in the substrate to pursue any chance for food. Eating anything even there own poop which is normal. Bare bottom , sand or a larger river rock is safer for a turtle. Rooting plants can do ok in river rock that is if your turtle gives them time to even root. Floating plant works better with turtles. All types will become a food source ! Be ready for extra maintenance your turtle will in time make a mess of them. You know how we all just love that maintenance ! I use to keep 5-8#'s of plants in Piggley's 150 gallon tank , even had a 70 gallon separate plant tank to keep up with him. That got old like me so now no plants in his main home . He also was eating too many of them so another reason to remove to control his diet better. Your call , most of us try it at one point. Keep safety for your turtle in mind first (blockages when eaten). That will be a big vet bill with some blockages or worst if he can't pass the particle's naturally. Too many captive turtles lives have been shorten in this hobby by wrong substrate size ( any that can be eaten) especially when some can not afford a vet bill or a blockage does not pass naturally. A preventable problem.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am   Re: Flora max substrate

What kind of substrate would you recommend.
Nico1025

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 am   Re: Flora max substrate

For a beginner none. Bare bottom with some decorations at first. Easier for maintenance. That's until you get all down first like water parameters ( the nitrogen cycle) . Which is yours and your filters best friend. And understand fully all requirements a turtle needs. It's a learning curve for all , does not happen over night. Taking on live plants for a beginner gets most frustrated then get out the hobby. Picking the right kind helps especially in the type of environment a turtle needs. You have lots of time because captive turtles when well taken care of will live for 40-50 years. After 56 years in this I use river rocks but hard to clean with just a regular vac system. I have a pump attached to my vac and it's strong enough to pull all trash out of them. If you still want plants a few floating ones like frogbit or a water lettuce type would be ok.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor