Habitat - Indoor :: Tank size decision question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:33 pm   Tank size decision question

Hello! So im having a hard time deciding something for my sweet girl cheetah. As of right now, she is a little under 7 inches and is currently in a 60 gallon tank. Shes around 7-8 years old and hasnt grown for nearly a year so i assume that the last time i saw growth was the last time. Now, in two years i plan to re-home her to someone i will have contact with while im away in college. So, i guess my question is, would it be wrong for me to not upgrade her? Shes happy, active, and in good health; but i know the main rule of thumb 10 gallons for every inch of shell; but ive also read about people who keep their RES in slightly smaller tanks and they do just fine and are healthy. I want the best for her, but i dont know if spending 100-200 dollars on a tank that is 15 gallons larger and not much roomier then her current tank is the best choice when she will be in larger tank when she is rehomed. I hate to sound so cheap. But if shes already doing well and is happy, then i dont know if i see a point in spending the money. Please know, i love her so much and i really do want her to be happy.
Caffee

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:10 am   Re: Tank size decision question

It's your choice, but there are other benefits to a larger tank than her "happiness". Is the tank filled all the way? How is her filtration? If a condition of her being rehomed includes all the equipment, then it is likely she will not see any upgrades and you might need to make those anyway. Are you getting her back after college?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:02 pm   Re: Tank size decision question

steve wrote:It's your choice, but there are other benefits to a larger tank than her "happiness". Is the tank filled all the way? How is her filtration? If a condition of her being rehomed includes all the equipment, then it is likely she will not see any upgrades and you might need to make those anyway. Are you getting her back after college?

The tank has an basking spot thats above the tank to allow her more space, so its filled all the way. The filtration is pretty amazing actually, i recently switched out my old canister filter for a fluval canister and it keeps the water crystal clear for the most part. If i didnt upgrade her now, i would either make sure she had an upgrade when i went off to college or check in with the person atleast a year prior to make sure they had a 75 gallon or higher for her before i went off to college. The person i plan to rehome her to will have contact with me so i will be doing check ins to make sure my girl is doing alright. As for if i will be taking her back....im not sure. I would love to, but i will be in college for possibly 4-6 years and dont know where i will be at that point. Its just that right now, money is a bit hard to come by myself since i cannot get a job at the moment. I actually took some time to think and decided that unless she grows more or shows that shes unhealthy/unhappy, then i will make the necessary upgrades. As of right now though, she seems quite healthy.
Caffee

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:14 pm   Re: Tank size decision question

You can also sell the 60 gallon and put it towards financing a larger tank but I would probably lean towards keeping it as is. Used glass tank generally keep their value, so keep that in mind.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:54 am   Re: Tank size decision question

Another thought to consider in your plans. I assume the person you selected is experienced with turtles . If not will or can you teach them on all the needs Cheetah has in feedings to maintenance so she can adjust easy before you go to college. To keep her doing well and happy. Are they informed after college you may or may not take her back. Their helping may be permanent? Turtles get very comfortable/happy with owners in time as we do with them. Your second post sounds like the equipment will not be going with her ? You state “make sure they had a 75 gallon or higher” before you go to college. Big expense for the new owner/friend for an adult turtle. You trust them with Cheetah , what about transfer the equipment too , to make it easy on them for being so helpful for 4-6 years.
Since her DNA kept her small ( 7” ) I agree what you have now can be her final tank setup with the “ATBA”. Note one big advantage to a larger tank is not just more swimming room but to make maintenance easier allowing one to control the waters parameters much better and easier.
Good luck in college !
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor