Habitat - Indoor :: Need Help Removing Aquarium Glass Panel

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:06 pm   Need Help Removing Aquarium Glass Panel

I'm trying to remove the bottom glass panel from a Aqueon glass tank. I thought it was held together by silicone, but it appears to be cemented together. I've gone through a bunch of razor blades trying to saw the adhesive away, but barely making any progress. Any ideas on how to remove the panel? I've tried applying acetone, thinking it might be some type of cyanoacrylate, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
tygger

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:41 pm   Re: Need Help Removing Aquarium Glass Panel

Sure it's an Aqueon , those have a high quality silicone adhesive only. Some other higher end tanks are chemically bonded then an bead of silicone to guarantee a good seal. Not a CA glue .
Regular razor blades are too much work , just too thick ! You must remove a little at a time of the silicone just to have blade fit. Hobby Xacto blades are the way to go ! Even easier are scalpels ! Don't have to be expensive hospital grade. Super thin and very strong. Can be found all over for about $7 for 50 of them.
Have patience , be careful , make sure you end up with the same amount of fingers you started out with.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:35 pm   Re: Need Help Removing Aquarium Glass Panel

How big is the tank? There is usually extra silicone on the bottom rim/frame, so unless they are damaged and you are also removing them, it might not be worth the effort.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor