Habitat - Indoor :: Indoor pond heater

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:22 pm   Indoor pond heater

I have a large 300 gallon pond with a few turtles in it. I want to eventually move it outside, but we're getting into cooler weather. Thankfully I'm in southern Louisiana, so we don't get too cold, but the house we live on holds 0 heat and temps are usually the same inside during the winter as they are outside.
While they'll have their basking area, I would like to be able to keep the water a warm temp for them. Can anyone recommend a heater? We don't have anything in stores near me since we don't get very cold and searching online is overwhelming.
Thank you!
Fxybx

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:56 pm   Re: Indoor pond heater

How cool does it get? Larger/older turtles can handle colder temps. Anyway, I have Eheim Jager heaters but I've heard good things about Aqueon Pros. You might need to get a few depending on how much water you have and how many degrees you want it to go up by.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 pm   Re: Indoor pond heater

steve wrote:How cool does it get?

We can get into the high 20's but that's quite rare. Normally a freeze is no less than 30 in February\march. We don't usually even hit 50s until mid-January.

My youngest turtles are a few years(3ish) and a good size almost big enough to tell sex at this point. I have an adult female who survived a freeze outdoors a few years ago and we were scared she would die. I just want them to be comfortable.
Fxybx

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:43 am   Re: Indoor pond heater

Those temps would be too cold and will inhibit their normal activities. Anyway to insulate the pond?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:15 am   Re: Indoor pond heater

I don't think insulation will keep the water temps from dropping. I'm looking into building a canister filter with a heater to help since finding small tank heaters are easy to find. We need a new filtration system anyway so I'll just be expediting that.
I'm really at a loss at this point. All I've found online are pond deicers and I've read about those burning animals and failing causing animals to be electrocuted.
Fxybx

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 pm   Re: Indoor pond heater

I think it depends on how you do the insulation. People also cover their tanks overnight to help keep in the warmth. The water freezes indoors?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:33 pm   Re: Indoor pond heater

No the water doesn't freeze, but I worry about temps dropping too low for them. I don't have any type of heat in the water at all and if air temps fall under 40 I just worry about how what water temps will be.
The pond is a thick plastic\rubber material. I don't think insulating will help or be a viable solution. I really need some type of tank heater.
Fxybx

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 pm   Re: Indoor pond heater

If you're set on an in tank heater, i would lean towards the Eheim Jager heaters and add a plastic guard for it. Plug it into a GFCI and use a drip loop on the cord. You might need more than one depending on your exact situation.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor