Habitat - Indoor :: 225 Gallon Reef-Ready Tank Conversion

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 pm   225 Gallon Reef-Ready Tank Conversion

Hello,

I am new here and pretty new to raising turtles. I have a Rio Grande Cooter and a Mexican Ornate Slider in the same tank. They are currently outgrowing their current 60 gallon tank so my wife and I found a killer deal on a used 225 gallon tank that was used for saltwater and is reef ready.

I really want to use the filtration system that came with it so the plumbing can stay pretty much the same as it is now (I want to keep the sump if possible). Has anyone done something similar to this? I am trying to figure out how to modify/remove the overflow compartment to work as we need it (since the tank will obviously not be filled completely. If anyone has had this type of experience or might simply know about it any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
01313_b8xUl2Lf6RB_0CI0im_600x450[1].jpg
Picture of the overall system.
01313_b8xUl2Lf6RB_0CI0im_600x450[1].jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
sopperman

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am   Re: 225 Gallon Reef-Ready Tank Conversion

Would that cabinet be OK with the heat and water evaporation from a turtle setup? I'm not too familar with reef tanks, so I don't know if it will be efficient with your turtles but it should be OK. As for the removal, if it's sealed with silicone then I don't see why not however this question might be better suited on our facebook group.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:03 pm   Re: 225 Gallon Reef-Ready Tank Conversion

Thanks for the reply. We have decided to leave the overflow compartment for if we want to convert back to saltwater or just to use it for fish one day. Any suggestions on a filter for a 225 gallon setup? I was hoping to use what came with it but I cannot find any information on the filter that is currently in use here. It is a Rainbow Lifegard R172422. I don't know if I could use this for freshwater or where to get the media for it. It also has an inline UV Sterilizer that I wish to keep using.
sopperman

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 am   Re: 225 Gallon Reef-Ready Tank Conversion

Fluval FX6 is considered to be the best turtle filter out there. If that's your cabinet, you will need to measure to make sure it would fit underneath.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor