Habitat - Indoor :: Powersuns burning out

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:43 am   Powersuns burning out

I had the Powersun bulb that was about a year old burn out about 6 weeks ago. I got a replacement from local store and that one burnt out in a few days. I returned it and got a replacement, then that one also burned out.
I changed the fixture, and the next one burned out.

I have not had a standard ceramic fixture nor one that hangs from above. I've used a clamped work light with the bulb tilted at an angle without a problem.

Now it seems I do have a problem, so I did purchased a Repti-Zoo 8.5" 200 W max reflecting dome and placed a hook for it to be suspended. New bulb that I recently purchased off of Amazon. That has also burnt out within a few days.

I am not sure why they are burning out when before they were not. Thoughts?
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:49 pm   Re: Powersuns burning out

Haven't heard of any problems with them, it could be a bad batch. Do you have the boxes? It might have some info as to when they were made. Another issue might be the home wiring, in the past some believed having the gear plugged into a UPS or line conditioner was important.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:19 pm   Re: Powersuns burning out

I did contact ZooMed today and was told that they've seen an increase in reported quick burnouts. The rep believes it's due to recent handling/shipping conditions being less careful. They do have a 12 month warranty and if you provide a receipt, they will ship a replacement from them and ideally it would have been handled by fewer people.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:00 pm   Re: Powersuns burning out

Glad to hear they're standing by their product. Let us know how the replacements fare!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:38 pm   Re: Powersuns burning out

I haven't used the replacement yet as I figured I'd use the other that I got through Amazon and it lasted maybe 2 weeks. So I contacted them about that.
They informed me that they have a new batch and my replacement will come from that.
The replacement that I did received seemed to be packaged well, plenty of bubble wrap to secure it.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 pm   Re: Powersuns burning out

Hopefully it works out, there are only a few choices out there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:51 pm   Re: Powersuns burning out

I have a basking lamp and a separate UV bulb currently. Powersun is preferred though.
Madness will reign.
Insanity

Return to Habitat - Indoor