Habitat - Indoor :: Suggestions for connection nesting area

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:48 pm   Suggestions for connection nesting area

My turtle has started laying eggs in the spring time. Last year she laid about 35 eggs in a kiddie pool filled with (unfertilized) dirt. This year i am quite a bit busier and would like suggestions for how to connect the nesting area to her pond so that she doesn't have to be supervised, especially as she likes laying in the early morning and it's stressful for me to wake up at 5:30 am to put her in the dirt. Currently it has builder's tarp around the outside, but she can and does climb up it trying to escape. I'm thinking about making a lid out of this buildable shelving stuff, and making a ramp to her basking spot. My biggest worry is that she would stick her limbs or head through the holes and get hurt, but I could use the rest of the builder's tarp to line it. Does this sound like a good idea, or do you have any other suggestions?

Basking spot is a food grade bucket and has a hole cut into it (edges of the cut are blunted) that doubles as a cave. The ramp is a floating turtle dock but she's too big for it to be a basking spot so I modified it to attach to the bucket. The white stuff is not gravel, it is crushed coral. Our apartment complex has very acidic water (the color the test strips become is not even on the label) and pH powder does not help, so we need the crushed coral.
Attachments
unknown-8.png
unknown-8.png (369.09 KiB) Viewed 20066 times
unknown-6.png
unknown-6.png (287.82 KiB) Viewed 20066 times
unknown-5.png
unknown-5.png (446.87 KiB) Viewed 20066 times
mintyminty

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 pm   Re: Suggestions for connection nesting area

I'm guessing there needs to be some fencing around both the nesting area and pond, or some sort of connecting bridge that is fenced.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor