Habitat - Indoor :: Free roam or not?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:02 pm   Free roam or not?

Hello, this is my first post. I have 2 turtles, a male RES juvie, Twinkle, and a female RES juvie, July. I have noticed that Twinkle basks a lot compared to most, and has always been that way. Is this concerning? :? If not, I was wondering, would he do best with abt an hr or two of indoor/outdoor free roam per day? I do take him outside often, where he walks around happily (not in a panicked way), and really seems to enjoy himself. He is very social and loves scratches, he will extend his head to get them. :lol: He spends almost all day on the basking rock, and even sleeps there after the lights are turned out for about 20 mins. He is now a year old, and has been doing this for the whole time I've had him (a year), so I would’ve probably spotted health issues causing this. This was long, so sorry, but thank you for any advice! :D
Twinkle+July

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 pm   Re: Free roam or not?

Usually extended periods of basking is fine and normal. It helps the turtle regulate temperature (they are cold-blooded) and dries the shell, which helps prevent infections. Taking turtles outside has a lot of benefits, but make sure they have some sort of fencing or enclosure as you want to protect them from predators, but also keep them from escaping -- they are great at digging and climbing. They should has some shade, be supervised, and not in excessively warm or cold temperatures... I prefer 72-85F range.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:49 pm   Re: Free roam or not?

Thank you! I am hoping to get at least two peoples opinions on this, as everyone’s opinion is different, and maybe they will provide inspiration as to what’s best for Twinkle!
Twinkle+July

Return to Habitat - Indoor