Habitat - Indoor :: jebo 828 filter

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:41 pm   jebo 828 filter

i recently purchased the jebo 828 odyssea canister filter and was curious if anyone could help me out on this, it didnt come with instructions, except on the side of the box, which didnt help me much since i havent used a canister of any kind before, anyway, it seems to me the suction on the intake side is not very good, i cleaned out the turt tank, and the water itself is crystal clear, but there is debris floating around, if i put my hand near the suction part i cant feel any real suction, and i noticed some things just passing right thru it like it wasnt even on, surely this isnt how its suppose to work, the water coming out on the bubbler line is fine, actually a little too forceful for my turt, its only approx 3", this model has 4 trays for media, does it matter what u put in what order? it has ceramic rings, a foam, an activated carbon, and this white stuff, like zeolite or something, any info anyone could help me with would be greatly appreciated, i'm about to send it back, my $20.00 whisper filter had more suction than this does, what am i doing wrong? thanks
resowner33

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:28 pm   

Is there a company number or website that you can call/visit??

If not I would go back to the place you bought it from and ask them how to work it or get your money back and get something WITH instructions!!
=o) Jared & Kelli
JnK Acopan

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:23 pm   

i'm assuming this is the manufacturers website;
http://www.jebo.com.cn/html/under-f.html

they offer no additional information. I hope you didn't pay too much for the filter. If I was you, I would return the filter, and buy a product from a more well known source. that way you can at least get the operating manual, support and warranty from the company, and you will also get support from us.

i totally don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk either. I'd hate to see someone waster their money when there are many other fine products out there with which we know about. Go Filstar, Eheim, Magnum, etc..
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:18 pm   

the suction on my XP3 doens't feel forceful either. is the intake nozzel long in shape, especially compared to your other filter?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:08 am   

yes the intake nozzle is a lot longer than on a power filter, i guess it must be working ok, just doesnt suck up the debri as well as i thought it would, it does suck up some just not in the same way as a power filter, the water itself is crystal clear, just hafta figure out someway to get rid of debri, do you know if it hurt the canister if i were to cut some of the length out of the rubber part of the hoses?, they r very long and have had problems with them getting kinks in them, that could be part of it also, maybe, all of your help is greatly appreciated, thanks
resowner33

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:20 am   

yea, they don't seem to be able to suck up large debris. all you can hope for is that the smaller particles are being picked up. so poo and food leftovers will breakup first before being filtered.

on my larger tank, i plan to use 2 filters just to get some better water circulation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:37 am   Indoors

Hey, Guys,
Can't beat Japanese Black Trapdoor Snails for cleaning up the poo and plant matter and other debris. They are live bearers and the baby snails make great turtle food. They are winter hardy and can live under the ice on your pond as long as you don't let the pond freeze solid. I ordered mine from www.pondkoi.com. Got about 40 in my 265 gal. pond and the pond bottom is very clean. They don't eat the plants, just clean 'em.
George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:37 pm   

Resowner33--I've heard good things about the Jebo (I've seen it referred to as the poor man's Eheim, and if I'm not mistaken, it is made by the people who make Eheims) and I'm surprised no instruction booklet came with it. Maybe this was an oversite? I'd contact the company and find out.

My XP3 intake doesn't appear to have strong suction when I put my hand near it, but I know it's working because objects/debris that area too big to go through the strainer stick to it. How far away is the intake from the bottom of the tank? Are there any other objects near it?

No filter is going to suck the poop off the floor.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:48 pm   intake tube

the intake tube is probably 4-5" from the bottom of the tank, i realize it wont necessarily pull the debri up from the floor of tank but i was watching it yesterday and some small items were just flowing right thru the strainer, the only thing nearby is the heater and its a good 6" away, i've decided that tonight i am going to cut the rubber part of the tubes for a more custom fit, sometimes the intake ends up shifting and gets kinks in it, which i'm sure doesnt help, then i'm going to position the bubbler a little closer to intake in hopes that the water will circulate more,1.) i've also seen online a top skimmer that can be attached to the intake part of tube, has anyone used one of these before? alot of the debris is now floating on top of water, so that may help also, or2.) i was thinking about just adding a small power filter with the strainer higher than the other tube and see if i can catch it that way, what do you think would the best way? thanks for all the information
resowner33

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:32 pm   

I always thought protein skimmers were for salt water tanks. Can I ask where you bought the filter? I really would try to get some sort of instruction manual. Under the link above there's a "contact us" link for the company, maybe you could send them an email.

If the tubes are kinking up, that certainly could affect the suction. Is there any air getting in the filter (does it make noises/bursting sounds)? Cutting the hoses will cut down on the amount of air getting into the filter (if that's the problem), but if you're at all thinking of returning it, I'd think twice about cutting them. For the order of the media (forgot to reply to that part before), on the XP3, I have the sponges on the bottom, carbon (optional) above that, the biomedia (rings) above that, topped off by a microfiltration pad (sometimes). You could run a power filter along with it (something like an Aqua-Clear. How big a tank is the Jebo being used in?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:07 pm   

the tank size is a 75G, just got it too, i bought the filter on ebay very cheap, i did some research on them before i bought, a lot of people really like them and they are made by eheim, even use the same trays and all, everything is interchangeable for the both of them. i think i have it working properly now, the intake hose kept shifting in the back of the tank by the wall, i've went ahead and cut it down to a better length, so its not kinking up , as far as the skimmer they sell those on, i think it was big al's, i dont remember if they termed it a protein skimmer or just a top skimmer, now the only thing not getting sucked up is just on the surface of the water, i decided to check the pull on the intake side, i took off the little strainer and put my hand on just tube and its definately got suction now, maybe if it runs properly overnight, no kinking etc., it will eventually get the debri that is on the surface, like the debri will get pushed around by the bubbler current, and will get sucked up. when i put the media in, i put zeo-lite on bottom, the rings, then carbon, then sponge, maybe i should change the order their in, similiar to yours, it makes more sense that i might need to change carbon before i would the sponge or ceramic rings, this is the first canister i've ever dealt with, so sorry for all the questions but i'm grateful for all the suggestions/thank you so much for your information, your patience, and tolerance with my questions!! :D
resowner33

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:54 am   

I have an old AquaClear 200 on my 50 gal tank, and it seems to do just fine. The intake hose was a little short for the bigger tank, so I fit a 4 inch piece of tubing on it and it sucks the bottom clean. I'm going to get another filter for the other side (for extra clean plus water displacement) when I get some extra money... just got a full time job... 40 hrs/wk (that's unheard of around here. Usually have to have 3 jobs to get those hours.) I know the job thing is completely unrelated, I'm just still really excited about it :D
bradhart

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:59 pm   

I'm wondering if using a powerhead would help (I've never used one, but they are recommended sometimes to agitate the surface more when the water is still and a film develops on it). Aqua-Clears are supposed to be particularly good for mechanical filtration--a drawback (some say) is that they need to be on a full tank or else they're noisy because of water splashing (but there are ways to quiet them down).

I'm assuming that canisters basically work the same (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the water goes to the bottom of the canister first and then is pushed up and out. That's why the sponges are in the bottom basket--to catch the crud and debris (the XP3 has two types of sponges in the bottom basket; the coarser one is placed first to get the bigger stuff and the finer one is on top for smaller stuff. I don't think it makes too much difference what order the other media is in the baskets (but microfiltration pad, if you use it, is on top). Some people just load the rest of the baskets with bio-media. The zeolyte is expensive--I switched to carbon and if I'm still running the filter when I use that up, I may just try the bio-media.

Bradhart, congrats on your new job! Think of all the neat turtle stuff you'll be able to buy. :)
Last edited by marisa on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:30 pm   

Oh, I have been... already bought some decoration...

The Aquaclear is a little noisy.. have to shut it off when watching a dvd on my laptop cause the sound isn't very loud. But--if it's a few inches from full (5 now) it's not too bad. We are used to it now.
bradhart

Return to Habitat - Indoor