Habitat - Indoor :: Turtles and crayfish...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:27 pm   Turtles and crayfish...

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum and I have question.
I just got my son a Red ear slider and was thinking of also getting a crayfish. Would there be any problems having these two share the same tank ?
trnsfrguy

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:33 pm   

i think that the turtle when it gets bigger it will try to eat the crayfish .. and the crayfish will try to attack the turtle but will be useless since they have small pincers ... i wouldnt recommend puting the crayfish with the turtle becuz crayfish pollute the water very fast and that is not good for your turtle neither it is for u ... if u want the crayfish u have to clean the tank more often ... my friend had crayfish and they were very messy they shed totally and i dont think it is good for the turtle is he/she will eat the crayfish's skin... so i recommend u dont get crayfish , having a turtle is much more enjoyable and ALOT CUTER
mitchy04

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:02 pm   

I'm not familiar with crayfish. I know what they are, but I've never kept them. I don't think you should risk it. If it gets eaten, big deal, but you don't want to take the chance of your turtle getting hurt.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:41 am   

Thanks for the replies....
trnsfrguy

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:21 pm   

Crayfish?!?! I'm from Louisiana, where CRAWFISH is a delicacy! I've seen them at pet stores selling from anywhere around $5 a piece to almost $20 a piece! We can buy rather LARGE crawfish here for about $2-$3 a pound for our boils! Of course, we boil them up and eat them ourselves! I couldn't fathom feeding one to my turtles!!!!! Especially at those prices! I guess I'll have to try to save them one the next time we have a crawfish boil (notice we Cajun's spell it with a W and not a Y)!
"Mom" of Otis and Willy
NewTurtleMom

Return to Habitat - Indoor