Habitat - Indoor :: tank:where to put it??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:15 pm   tank:where to put it??

I have sort of a question you might not ask. I'm thinking of buying a 30 gallon tank 4 my turt. where or what on would be the best place to put it? Do you have to buy a table 4 it? Any suggestions?
Thanks 4 the help
shady1616

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:59 pm   Re: tank:where to put it??

shady1616 wrote:I have sort of a question you might not ask. I'm thinking of buying a 30 gallon tank 4 my turt. where or what on would be the best place to put it? Do you have to buy a table 4 it? Any suggestions?
Thanks 4 the help

Is that a 30 gallon for 4 turts, or for one 4 inch turtle? If you have more than one turt, you'll definetly need something bigger than 30 gallons. The general rule is 10 gallons per inch of turtle, so a 4 inch turtle would need a minimum of a 40 gallon tank. But I know that wasn't your question :lol:

I bought a metal stand for mine..cheaper than the wooden ones with the shelves underneath. I wouldn't want to put my 50 gallon on a table for 2 reasons. 1) the table might not be strong enough to hold the weight of a full tank, and 2) if the tank is longer than the table, it will eventually crack and you'll have a HUGE mess on your hands.

When you go to buy your tank just ask if they have a stand for it. They'll make sure it fits.

jen
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:54 pm   

shady,
make sure whatever you buy for that thiry gallon tank that it will withstand the weight of about 300 lbs. 1 gallon of water ways approx 10 lbs. So whatever you plan to have your tank on, you better go big, or go broke. :]

Be sure the top of whatever it is is perfectly level with no bumps. bumps and warped wood will cause the glass to crack under the weight of the water.

I always make sure it's level and flat, and put a piece of thick carpet overtop cut to the exact size of the tank.. mayhap a bit bigger. This will cushion out any minor inconsistencies.. and the tak will weight so much, you'll hardly see any of the carpet. :]
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:35 am   

i just have my 40 gal long tank on my desk. I bought the big tank on impulse, and didnt think of where to put it...now my computer is on the floor. Oh well, our rule is pets before people (us--pets eat before we do). Anyway, the carpet is a really good idea, but dont put it near a window for sunlight... the sun will raise the water temp too much, and you'll end up with turtle soup.
bradhart

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:14 pm   

janearo,
"4" is just short for "for". My turt is about 2" long. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to get a stand that can hold 300 lbs. :)
shady1616

Return to Habitat - Indoor