Habitat - Indoor :: cleaning tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:36 pm   cleaning tank

Hi everybody! I don't know if this question has been asked, I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway when I change the water what can I use to clean the tank? When I clean their tank it smells kinda fishy sometimes. Right now I just scrub it out with plain water. And I know you have to be careful with chemicals. Thanks for the help.
vickiebe

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:25 pm   

A vinegar solution works well. 10% I think is the right amount. Make sure you rinse it well.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:52 pm   

I use a white vinegar solution and just add a couple of capfuls to a shallow amount of water in the tank. I rub a little full strength vinegar on spots on the tank. Just rinse well afterward.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:17 pm   removing plants, cleaning rocks on the bottom

When you guys clean your tanks, do you leave the plants in the rocks (where they have formed roots) or do you take them out, clean and then replant? I have noticed that when I unsettle the rocks on the bottom of the cage all of the uneaten food comes out. All of the seemingly clear water turns cloudy and mucky.
Needless to say, I have to remove all of the fish and my turtle before doing any of this. I know that keeping a RES, or any other reptile for that matter, is hard work. But I need to know if there is another way to clean a tank that is better than my current method. Any suggestions?
I have noticed on someones set up that there are many rocks in the tank. One side of the tank has rocks piled up so they form a surface above water. I really like this idea but I cringe at the thought of cleaning it all.
:shock:
cinderbelle

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:25 pm   Gravel Syphon

Use a gravel syphon. That makes the job way easyer. It sucks all the poop and stuf out of the bottom of the tank and leaves the gravel there. works for me atleast. and i have one of those tanks were there is alot of gravel piled up on one side. Just go to pics. And click on "I found a camera".
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:03 pm   

me Im to lazy I have no rocks at all I use the gravel vacumn for messy bottom but this is easy too, my filter current directs the debris into one small pile for me. my basking area is pvc set up that others here have built with a river rock perched on it for the basking area (thnx for the pix.) and I tie my live plants to the white legs of this with that metal heavy band the pet store has on em it looks cool 8) under the basking ladder I have sank a brownish plastic glass (like the ones used in restuarants) and poked plants in it too gr8 cave look and escape for the fish chases my turt explores it regularly. small drilled holes in the pvc also serve to poke live and artificial plants around, I love the look. and so easy to clean a bare bottom yet have a lively looking tank.
Don't put a question mark (?) where God has already put a period (.)!
lydia_lady_fla

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:57 am   

yeah, I have one of those siphons. It just doesnt work at peak performance since my dog tried to eat it.
Putting the plants in a container at the bottom of the tank is a great idea. I will probably do that. Rocks are such a pain to clean.
cinderbelle

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:38 pm   Shrug ok

WEll cleaning my tank seems fun to me. I like to clean, it keeps my hands occupied from doing something stupid (ex. lighting off illeagle fireworks, running around the house naked for no apparent reason,ect.) i just find cleaning fun :D . Maby i am just weird :P .
GouzlanTheAmerican

Return to Habitat - Indoor