Habitat - Outdoor :: Bio balls setup

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 pm   Bio balls setup

I have bio balls in a wet/dry setup. I am not sure about the pressure at which water can go through it. Does it have to be a drip only?

I have a 1400Litre/h mechanical filter. It has two exhausts. I twisted the plastic tube to have the least pressure which then drips into cotton pads (to be replaced with fine pore sponges later) over the bio balls. Should I replace the cotton pads with a sponge?

The container with the bio balls drips right over the mechanical filter. Is it an issue? Will the bacteria get shredded this way?

Someone do tell me if I am doing something wrong, please.
sharvyn

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:07 pm   Re: Bio balls setup

It's been 30 years since I made my first wet/dry system , sorry not going to be much help. Interpretations on flow 's and placement has changed over time. What helped me to adjust on the go were having ball valves installed to help. No twisting of tubes. Also for the drip plate start with small holes and you can always enlarge if needed. To me you want more than a drip and the more holes for coverage is better (side to side).
I like to protect bio media as much as I can so I would say a pre-filter sponge first for that. Sponges to me are better a simple squeeze all done , save any and all good bacteria you can. Both do work , pads or sponge. Most like pads pull out change completely , fast and easy but you lose any good bacteria in them..

I'm old now and only have a 150 gallon stock tank today , all I need is my FX6 with a pre-filter pad then all bio media and works great for me.

See youtube you will be bombarded with videos on wet/drys.

This a a nice simple trickle wet/dry close to what I had : https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=we ... ORM=VRDGAR
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Outdoor