Habitat - Outdoor :: pond lights

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:30 pm   pond lights

what is your opnion on the underwater pond lights. will the turtles try to eat the cord?
kenaz

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:39 pm   

Hmm they might try to chew it
I wouldnt take the chance
Since my turtle tries to bite anything existing

But maybe you can camoflsuge it
Tito-- Baby RES

~~Safdar~~
Safdar

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:30 pm   

How would the lights be positioned? Could you hide the cord under something?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:56 am   

so i put the lights in 2 days ago and i also put in 6 feederfish, the lights look amazing! 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 red! with the lights off wow, they seem not to be interested in the light at all there having toooo much fun trying to catch the fish.
2 RES
2 Jack Russels
kenaz

Post Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:30 am   

If you do notice them trying to chew on the wires you could run them through some rigid pvc pipe.
DavidY

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:01 pm   

Here's my experience with pond lights. Many years ago I put two underwater lights in my pond. It is 990 gal. There are koi, turtles, frogs, etc. One week went by and I thought ..well, all is OK there. During the night, my neighbor heard something happening in my pond and called me. Someone ate through the wire for the lights, (most likely a slider) and all the koi were floating on top of the pond. The two sliders made it, but all the fish died, and I had to empty the whole pond out. It was a mess in there. It was very sad for me as I had the koi for years. Now no one ever ate through the wire for the pump. I don't know why they did that but I never put a light in there again. I have lights on an over hang on my house that directs a beam into the pond. Well anyway that is my experience with under water lights. I am not saying it will happen to you (I hope not), and I know they look beautiful. Good luck to you.
Terry
Terry
Terryo

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:46 pm   

sorry to hear avout the koi, i havent seen them chew on it yet and every couple of days i check the wires, they look good and no chew marks, i'm not gonna use them everyday, just when we have company over, and hey i never thought of putting the wires in pvc thanks for the tip!
kenaz

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:18 pm   

Yea, they actually sell plastic conduit material for burying electrical wiring in wet areas. You can get all kinds of fittings from the too so you can run the conduit all the way from your electrical outlet along a wall or underground and right into your pool and terminate it at a plastic junction box. You may need to cut the plug off the end of the power cord for the lights so you can feed it through the conduit. Whatever you do, don't try to splice any wiring anywhere that will be under water.
DavidY

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 pm   

never had any turtles chew a pump wire?
Holiday Rambler

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:31 am   Re: pond lights

Is there any risk of shock to the lil turkeys??? I bought the red blue n yallow ones and am scared to turn them on.
blair1750

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:36 pm   Re: pond lights

There's always some risk when using electrical pond/aquarium equipment. Please use GFCI outlets.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:51 pm   Re: pond lights

I was going to recommend the pvc pipe but never thought about the conduit! I might have to do that for the heaters. I really like how the pond light looks too
1 Standard Poodle- Tegan
1 Ferret- Xander
2 RES- Raina and Sylvie
1 Betta- Lizardman
sflemin2

Return to Habitat - Outdoor