Habitat - Outdoor :: water lettuce

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:33 am   water lettuce

Has anyone with an outdoor pond had healthy water lettuce suddenly start to curl and brown on them? We added snails the other day and the leaves of the lettuce started to curl up and turn brown. Hope you are out there Old Turtle! :o
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:25 am   

The snails are probably eating the lettuce or doing something to them.
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:49 pm   

I've found water lettuce to be fairly fragile. I had four small ones that were doing well. Then the weather changed and they all rotted. I also noticed that if they got too much strong sun, the leaves around the edges turned brown.

BTW, has anyone had a water hyacinth that blossomed? I've had several blossom on me this summer and the blooms are some of the prettiest flowers I've seen--kind of like orchids. Unfortunately, the blossom only lasts about a day, though.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:16 pm   

Thanks - did you have trouble with the plants taking over? I bought three small plants about a month ago and now I have about 30. The curling and browning just started on Friday though. Old leaves do get brown and die off but suddenly it seems the whole plant is dying.

Old Turtle has water hyacinth I believe. They cannot be sent to Florida unfortunately.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:40 pm   

No trouble with plants taking over. The water hyacinth doubled, which I'm happy about. I think as of this year water lettuce is considered to be an invasive plant in CT, so I wonder if I'll be seeing any for sale next summer.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:45 pm   Outdoors

I can't remember when my Water Lettuce has done so poorly. It hasn't spread nearly as much as last year and, like yours, Tampa, the edge leaves on mine are curled and brown. I gave a few small plants to my Gdaughter to put with her little RES in her 20 gallon long tank and they have spread and are just as green and healthy looking as you could want. Seems the turt demolishes the Hyacinth and leaves the Lettuce alone Go Figure! My Helvola liillies are spreading like crazy and every morning there are at least 10 new yellow flowers and my Water Hyacinth is spreading but no flowers yet. I was having a bit of trouble with String Algae but have been dosing with Algae-Fix and it seems to be coming under control. Noticed a bunch of little baby Japanese Trapdoor Snails so they're doing okay. Don't know what is causing the poor Lettuce growth, I saw the earlier pics of your pond, Tampa and you had some beautiful, large Lettuce plants. Too bad. Is your pond open to the direct sun all day or is that fence giving you some shade? I have an umbrella that gives my pond partial shade until about 3 PM. I don't know if the canals in Florida have a problem with Water Lettuce as much as with Hyacinth but the Hyacinth grows very well in direct sunlight. My pond is fairly well balanced because I've tested for urine, quite often and with 7 fish I thought I'd see somer signs but the plants and filter are keeping that in check. Talk to ya later---------------------------George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:38 pm   

I agree with the water hyacinth and direct sunlight. They seem to love it, and the warm water that being in direct sunlight creates. My turts don't seem to want to eat the leaves. They do burrow under the roots, I think to stay cool and nibble at them. I'd try a little less direct sunlight with the water lettuce and see if that helps.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:07 pm   Outdoors

It's the 1st of August and whatever happens to my plants between now and first frost I'm just gonna let happen. I left my 10 foot umbrella up and the wind wrecked it so now I'm left with a 4 footer that shades for just a few hours. Hopefully Aldi's will have those big umbrellas in stock for a while or next season and I can get a new one. You could be right about too much sun, Marisa and the pond that was in up north at our other house was shaded by the pine trees for part of the day. Those Lettuce plants went wild, come to think of it. I have no idea what is making Jims' (RES Tampa) plants die. Something in the water, do you suppose? The Lettuce in my Gdaughters' tank is thriving with only the merc vapor UVB/UVA for light--there is no sunlight. A mystery?---------------George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:13 pm   

The first of August...I feel a little depressed when I think of that...

Can water hyacinth thrive under a MVB bulb? I'd like to keep mine as long as I can, and would bring them in when it starts to get cooler.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:05 pm   Outdoors

I don't know why they wouldn't. They survive quite well all year long in Florida.If you were to keep them in a separate container and add a little Miracle Gro to the water, that would do it, I think. Even though my basement pond is empty, I just might try that myself--with both the Lettuce and the Hyacinth. Do you think a ultra violet light on a timer might work and cost less money than a merc vapor UVA/UVB bulb? You know, the kinda light that's used for Violets? Yeah. Think I'll experiment. Maybe bring some in now and get started. Can't hurt, eh?---------George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:10 am   

Here is a picture of the lettuce

I wonder with all of the lettuce growing if it took all of the nutrients out of the water and is actually starving itself. I got the trapdoor snails George suggested and they are on their way with algae cleanup.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:52 pm   

Ok, now I'm truly jealous.. I wish I could have a setup like that. It's been awhile since you posted pics of it.. and it looks fantastic.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:31 pm   

Thanks - we are still finishing off the waterfall with plants & some other landscaping - will post a final picture when done.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:56 pm   

That lettuce looks much better than mine ever did, RES Tampa. (Nice pic, BTW)

George--do you mean the plant Gro-lights (sp)? I actually think I have one somewhere. Maybe I'll experiment too. I was thinking--since water hyacinth seem to like warm water, maybe a little submersible water heater with the Gro-light and Miracle Gro?
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:01 am   Outdoors

Yeah,Marisa, that's the light I was thinking of. What sized container are you going to use? I think it will be hard for me to concentrate that type of light over the surface area of a 265 gallon pond. I'll let you know what I'm using after the winter quarters are set up and running and all the plants and fish are in.---------------------George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Return to Habitat - Outdoor