Habitat - Outdoor :: Question!

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:45 pm   Question!

Is it better to have a gate around your pond so they can walk around or just a cover on it?
I have 8 cats at my house, 1 dog, 1 fish, and 2 RES turtles, what more could I want?
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:56 pm   

it needs to be fenced in, and the fence actually has to go about 3 feet into the ground because they dig! An outdoor enclosure must keep the turtles in and everything else out! Just about every animal you can think of is a possible threat to your turtles. Racoons, squirrels, hawks, rats, anything that walks of flys. There was a girl on another board that left her res unattended for just a few minutes outside (no fence)..one was carried away by some sort of bird, the other had all 4 legs chewed off by a racoon. :cry:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:34 pm   

:shock: Did you mean to say three feet or inches!!! 3 feet would be quite the dig even for a turtle. By the way LOT7290 RESs are excellent climbers so if you fence you enclosure, make sure the fence has nothing to grab onto like chicken wire material. :wink:
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:06 pm   

ok! but same question, 3 feet or 3 inches!??!
I have 8 cats at my house, 1 dog, 1 fish, and 2 RES turtles, what more could I want?
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:59 pm   

Speaking of excellent climbers!!!

That's one of my little guys climbing up the screen on the window.
Nicole
Hide and Seek are almost 4.5" each
1 Bearded Dragon named Ben :)
kneecole

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:06 am   

LOL, thats too cute!! :lol:
-Kristy
punkiemichelle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:46 am   

On glass!?!? haha :lol: cute but disturbing :wink:
LuvOfTurtles7290

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:22 am   

that's right guys, 3 feet!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:45 am   

that's cute and all.. but if it falls, that's a good way to crack your turtles shell.. and cause stress. but still cute.
Adam
pkneeyahx
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:45 pm   

In answer to the fencing questions--I've had turtle ponds for about 7 years now and my fencing has always been 1/2 inch mesh by 2 feet wide galvanized screen cloth.
My ponds have always had a walk-around area of at least 2 feet all around the pond except where it met the water course that I also included in building the pond. I excavated a ditch 3 inches deep and 4 inches wide and bent the mesh 4 inches to fit in the ditch turned in facing the pond. That way, when and if the turtles tried to dig at the fence they could only dig down 3 inches and they would hit the buried mesh. That, to me, is a much easier way to go than digging down 3 feet. For my Box Turtle enclosure, I made the trench 5 inches deep and 5 inches wide and bent the mesh to fit, as Boxies are known diggers. I bent the top of the mesh over facing the pond and with a tin snips, cut the 3 inch bent over part at various places to allow for the curve around the pond and forgot to say I cut the bottom bend also(much easier to make a circle that way). Now keep in mind that I also use either 5 inch or 6 inch Black plastic lawn edging all around the outside of the fence. This is to deter the turts from seeing distant vistas and from trying to go through the fence. If they can't see beyond the edging they won't go there. All that has worked fine except for my young turts that climbed the mesh but they were brought up short when they hit the bent over part of the fence. When they fell off the fence, they only had a few inches to fall and the fall was cushioned by the grass. My ponds are preformed, in a hour-glass shape-the length is 8 feet, the 2 wide parts are 4 feet and the waist section is a bit over 3 feet. The water depth is 18 inches which is deep enough to accomodate planters with lillys and on the underwater shelves there are planters with reeds. I float Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce all season long to help control the algae and for food for the turts. I also keep 30 or so Black Trapdoor Snails in the pond because they eat all the turtle waste and decaying plant matter. Also have a 7 inch Comet Goldfish and a 5 inch(for now) Koi and they vie with the turts to be first fed.
Holy smokes! I do ramble, don't I? George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:13 pm   

By the way, I've never had a predator problem and the turts and fish were always outside 24/7 with no cover. My ponds have been out in the boonies way up north in the Adams/ Friendship Area in central Wisconsin and now is in a close neighborhood in the city of Kenosha. We've watched Feral cats come to the pond quite often to drink and an occasional Raccoon has been seen fishing with it's forepaws but that has been at night when the turts were under water sleeping. Our yard , here in Kenosha, is completely fenced in so there is little dog problem and neighborhood kids don't go in with out me along. We,ve been fortunate, I guess. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:44 pm   

Dont worry about saying to much, your whole post's interest me :) thanks that helped a lot :D
LuvOfTurtles7290

Return to Habitat - Outdoor