Habitat - Outdoor :: Algae Buildup on waterfall

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:53 pm   Algae Buildup on waterfall

We are getting a lot of algae buildup on the rocks of the waterfall to our pond. It is actually lumps of green not just the usual green slime. Any ideas for removal or more than likely it's natural and not to worry? Hope you are reading Old Turtle, how is life in turtle retirement? :lol: :lol:
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:52 am   

It will be better to remove some of it. Sometimes, the things don't come off after a while. Can be really stubborn ( my fish tank tells all ;) )
I'm not sure if waterfall ponds can have this but I use a protein skimmer in my fish tank and most of the algae goes into there

Also, some of the algae just might ride on your turtles shell

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:37 am   

Ive turned the filter system off as we have a leak that I need to fix this weekend. The algae has disappeared from the waterfall but im sure it will be back once the waterfall is running again.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:11 pm   Algae on the waterfall

Hey, Tampa,
Looked at the pics of your pond. really nice!
Don't be too concerned about the algae on your falls rocks. Got the same type as you and can't keep mine free. It's a form of 'string algae' and is one of the toughest types of algae to eliminate or even hold in check. There is a product out that's called S.O.B.(String Algae Buster) that has worked well for me. You have to use it exactly as directed or it's not too effective. Won't harm your turt or any fish you might have. I haven't seen it in pet stores, just in garden shops that cater to the pond crowd.
I have all 11 fish downstairs in the 265 gallon pond. Also are 4 round, underwater containers packed with anachris, 1 with a tuber of Helvola Lillies and 2-10 inch square underwater containers with good growths of lillies. My light on a timer is a 160 watt turtle UVA/UVB light that is hanging off the floor joists,aimed down on the pond in general. On one of the ledges are 2 square containers , one full of Blue Rushes and one with 4 stalks of cattails. All are growing nicely and the fish are lovin' all that plant life. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:35 am   

Thanks George - good to hear from you :D

Spent the weekend looking for a leak somwhere in the pond that I did not find :x I am thinking it might be in the liner somewhere under the waterfall. I guess for now I will keep adding water. We now have frogs and minnows in the pond so now I guess its complete. Still need to do a little more landscaping. Good to hear from you. - Jim
RES Tampa

Return to Habitat - Outdoor