Habitat - Outdoor :: What Do You Think?

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:33 pm   What Do You Think?

In this week's local paper I noticed a fish pond for sale with accessories for $50. I spoke to the owner about it this morning and thought I was told the pond was 300-400 gallons with two filters. I was really excited and arranged to see it tonight. Well, the pond is, I think, more like 200-300 gallons, and there is one homemade trickle filter that's dirty and in sore condition (some media baskets broken). There's also a UV filter with all kinds of tubing and I was told he'll throw in a pump (never got to see that). The stuff I did see had obviously been just laying outside unused for I don't know how long. The pond, which is kidney-shaped with two depths, the deepest one being about 18 inches, had been set in the ground without a liner, and is really cruded up, and I was rather surprised over how thin and light it was--I expressed concern about leaking, but he claims it's fine (can these things be repaired if they leak?).

The guy claims he's had "a lot" of calls about it, and that he's just giving it away to get rid of it (one of his kids fell in it and he's concerned about other neighborhood kids falling in as well). I think part of my resistance is that I didn't trust what the guy was telling me (the story seemed to change from my initial conversation with him.

What do you think? He's holding firm at $50, which I know isn't that much money. BTW I can't install this until spring, so I'll have to find a place to put it over the winter...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:36 pm   

$50 may not seem like much, but it's too much to pay for something that could be damaged and very well could go un-used. If he's had so many calls about it, let someone else take the chance :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:12 am   

I wouldn't take it, you'll probably end up spending more money then it's worth.
TexasJagsFan

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 am   

I agree...for $40 you may get the booby prize...a leaky liner and filters that are about to die. I'd let one of his other interested parties take it. You'll find something better by spring :)
Thanks!
Scott
way2fst4u

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:27 pm   

Thanks for the replies. You've all confirmed what I was thinking (when in doubt, don't). :)

But if were to show up at half that price in a future ad, I don't think I'd be able to resist. :D
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:42 pm   

I'd express your concern about it leaking and then say "I'd be willing to take a chance on it for $30. It's just too much of a risk and work for $50"

If he holds firm again. Just say "OK here's my number, give me a call if no one else picks it up" That way he'll know that you are not going to settle for 50. While walking away turn and ask "are you sure you won't take 30 today? if still no. leave.

If he doesn't sell it. he may call you back. If not I'd then call him in about a week and ask if it's still for sell. If he can't sell it in a week he'll probably take you up on you 30 dollar offer.

Good Luck
As always, spelling errors are complimentary.

Taylor Family Zoo:
2 Red Ear Sliders
2 Fire Bellied Toads
1 Bearded Dragon
1 Short hair Kitten
1 Long hair Kitten
1 Siamese Manx mix (stumpy tail)
BigCT

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:26 pm   

I might call back if I see the ad again. There was just something about the guy that made me unsure of "deal" he said I was getting. :?
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:45 pm   pond for sale

Hi, Marisa,
Your old turtle pal George says that if the pond is of the preformed type and is just cruddy, it will clean up in a snap! As for the filters, just take 'em and throw 'em away and start out with a new one. For 50 bucks, if it's a preformed pond , it's almost indestructible--whether it was buried in the ground or not. My 265 gallon ponds were feather light when picked up but are very strongly constructed. I've never had to repair any of mine and I just dug a hole and layed the pond in it and as I filled the pond with water, I back filled around the pond and tamped the dirt firmly as I did. If done right, this will prevent the pond from saging or kinking These ponds are so easy to install and maintain, it's amazing that more of the people on this forum that are wanting to construct a good habitat aren't using them. A new pond of that size would run about 2 to 250 bucks. You don't have to drain it in the winter if you don't want to. Just remove your pump(s) and let it freeze solid--won't hurt a thing. Ask me for advise if you plan on having plantings in it and want to over-winter them. George :D :D
Oldturtle72

Return to Habitat - Outdoor