Habitat - Outdoor :: Algae control

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:32 am   Algae control

Hey all, my outdoor pond has begun accumilating algae on the rocks. I live in Singapore, SouthEastAsia, and the temperature on a sunny day can reach up till 35 degrees celsius. Without using any chemicals is it possible to remove the algae without having to clean it off? The pond is about 2m by 1.5m. I've done research and learnt that Water Hyacinth can remove nitrates that the algae feed on. I've added 6 of these plants already but is the number to little to remove all the nitrates? Also, the Water Hyacinths cost quite a bit in Singapore, can my 6 reproduce asexually or whateverly? Can somebody explain how I can create more of these plants without buying them?

Thanks, help is greatly appreciated here.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:43 pm   

Hyacinths are fairly easy to grow but take awhile to reproduce when you first get them.. After thst they grow really fast and like crazy.. As for algae, Plecos are the way to go... Sailfins work the best since they can swim fast and are very territorial.. You can put a PVC pipe or a hollow, untreated piece of bamboo for the to hide from your turtle in as well.(plecos are tropical so they would do really good in your climate.:))
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 pm   

I have considered getting them but... As of now I have 8 adult RES. All who enjoy raw meat. Is the pleco gonna' be quick enough? Should I get more than one? You said they were territorial, will two of them fight if I happen to get two or more?
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 am   

My Pond water turned all green at one point. If you can get your hand on some Pond Clear, That'll do the trick. Or just get some snails.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:44 am   

I'm assuming by now you are inundated in water hyacinth? If its the same stuff we've got in the southern U.S., that is.

Why don't you try a water lily? The pads shade the water, and the plants take from the water, effectively starving the alga.

My pond is green right now, because we're just warming up from one of the worst winters I can remember, but the hardy lilies have started sprouting leaves, the duckweed is growing, and in about 2 more weeks I'll take the papyrus plants out of the greenhouse and set them in, and fairly soon after that I'll notice one day - poof! - the water is clear. Its magic. LOL
Maureen
maureen

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:55 am   

I found a store in clementi @ blk 328 who sells 5 water hyacinth for a dollar. And btw, i find myself a successful water hyacinth farmer. i have another tank with water hyacinth, and i use turtle poop as fertiliser. Personally i never change the water, i only add water when it evaporates. After awhile u'll find snails in it which u can feed ur turtle. And cut stalk of leaf that are 30% brown and feed ur turtle, anything more than 50% brown cut it and throw it away. i find that they grow new buds from the cut off stalk. Its pretty cool
1 RES
1 convict
2 black neon tetra
3 Minnow
Lilsaint

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18 am   

I lost all my hyacinth because the winter was so bad; but I'm going to be in Louisiana next weekend and a friend assures me I'll be able to net some up from the bayou. After I decontaminate it, I like to set it in a hula hoop in the center of the pond. I also set some in the pool of my waterfall, as it gives just a little extra cleansing for the water.
Maureen
maureen

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:37 pm   Re: Algae control

i know im REALLY late in replying, but yes, plecos will do great if you give them some hiding spots and they grow pretty fast. i have one that is almost 10 inches and i got him about a year ago...
"Chuck Norris doesn't wear sunblock, the sun wears chuckblock"
ESG4Life

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:07 pm   Re: Algae control

I ended up making a home made biofilter. It is a 5 gal bucket with sponges on the bottom and gravel on top of them. If its doing and amazing job as far as algae control.
2 Male Red Eared (Goliath and Scramble the death dealer)
3 Female Red Eared (Hank, Big Mama, and Jesus)
1 Reeves, (Jeeves) too young to tell
A few betas, atleast for now
3 Koi
3 Dogs ( Precious, Killer and Jake)
T_Rhyons

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:07 pm   Re: Algae control

Put straw in the pond. It helps to clear the algae when it breaks down. Chop up the straw and put it in a bag so it won't clog up your filter.
terrapin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor