Habitat - Outdoor :: am i nuts, or is this idea going to float? (see link)

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:44 pm   am i nuts, or is this idea going to float? (see link)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/120IN-SWIM-CE ... L/13430767

I just ordered this 10' X 6' inflatable pool at the link above. I'm thinking that it might be neat to let the turtles take a stretch in it during the day in the nicer months, bringing them indoors at night (we have foxes). I'll fill it with a potable hose and let the algae grow, so it will be sort of like a pond.

What do you think?
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:54 pm   

Would be sweet. Just watch for Big Birds lol...

Ide get some of those plants u can buy at like walmart and stuff that come as big seeds and u just throw them in there and they grow pretty cool...maybe put some rock in it and stuff...some gold fish..would look nice and fun to watch :D I myself wanted to get a small pool for them.

Check out this guys pool setup. its SWEET...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMjgdsPaItE
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:13 pm   

Pretty fun!! Hummmmmmmmmm, Big Bird..... i'll keep my eyes peeled. Tall, yellow........

That video was great.

Tell me what you think; this is my plan so far:
I really don't see having dirt on the bottom; I'm thinking to have a clean bottom (I could syphon it regularly to keep it relatively clean? You're thinking dirt would help cover up their mess, hummm) My turtles will have a floating dock, fashioned out of some solid blocks of shipping styrofoam I've been saving, with an anchor of some type to keep the dock centered, like rope and a rock, so the turts can't use it to climb out. .... what about a motorized, toy submarine instead of fish :O...., ? Do they make those?

This could be a kick. At 10'x6', fairly huge, I could have friends over to race toy sailboats!!! Toy palm trees for shade on the floating dock!!

.... what else should I do? man, this could be fun........... ideas, anyone?
Last edited by V Lou on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
1 female RES, Itai, 1 female Western Painted, Daisey. They have lots of colorful pet fish and about 770 gal water.
V Lou

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 pm   

I plan on doing this in the summer too. not everday tho unless my turtle gets like 2" bigger by than. and if i canget a net to put overin case of birds or cats
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:28 pm   

I plan to have the water ~18" or so deep. I don't think I'll have to worry about cats or foxes, if it is that deep, right? I don't think birds will be a real danger, b/c of the awkwardness of the whole thing, but I could be wrong. There are ravens about, but they aren't water diving birds. Boy, imagine if one lands on this inflatable pool with its talons -- that would make a loud Bang! or a big Hiss.... as the air goes out ;) I just don't think that will happen. Lots of trees, small yard, the turtles would be in the water, hide under the dock instantly. What do you think?
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
V Lou

Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:34 pm   

Let's Have A Backyard Turtle Pool (has to be a kid's type of swimming pool) Photo Contest!!!! Want to?
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
V Lou

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:06 am   

Did anyone watch the Open Bottom Fish Tank video? It looks like a cool set up, not sure how to make it work, but would be really cool for turtle setup.
Myke

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:23 am   

...digital fish, computer generated.
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
V Lou

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 am   

I really don't see having dirt on the bottom; I'm thinking to have a clean bottom (I could syphon it regularly to keep it relatively clean? You're thinking dirt would help cover up their mess, hummm)

I would not use dirt from your yard. That mite have stuff in it and all it will do is make it muddy. I would go buy some Aquarium sand or something form like Walmart or a Pet store.

My turtles will have a floating dock, fashioned out of some solid blocks of shipping styrofoam I've been saving, with an anchor of some type to keep the dock centered, like rope and a rock, so the turts can't use it to climb out. .... what about a motorized, toy submarine instead of fish :O...., ? Do they make those?

Yeah that would be Cool ^^ I let my turtles floating dock just move around but it usually stands in the same spot because of the filter. and YES they do make the little motorized submarine's. I baught one off Ebay for like 5$ and played with it in my old apartments built in swimming pool, there pretty cool. even got a little guard on the little plastic motor thing so if ur turtle bits it it wont get hurt.
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 am   

Myke wrote:Did anyone watch the Open Bottom Fish Tank video? It looks like a cool set up, not sure how to make it work, but would be really cool for turtle setup.

Yeah I seen that tank, its pretty crazy...i dont know how they get it to work..looks pretty complex and i dont think it would make a very good turtle tank at all, the turtles would have to learn to go under to come up for air..and i think they would get confused pretty easy with that one..
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:25 am   

.... you guyz!!! that aquarium with the open bottom is computer generated. :)
fake.......... goodness.
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
V Lou

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:27 am   

I'm going to have to invite a dozen friends over this summer to play with their remote controlled submarines. I'll take the turtles out first, of course. What a hoot!! only 5 bucks!!! amazing!!
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
V Lou

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:30 am   

V Lou wrote:.... you guyz!!! that aquarium with the open bottom is computer generated. :)
fake.......... goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5InNVJ_Ythc

That is not Computer Generated LOL
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:37 am   

DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:49 am   

Oh, this is FUN!! Go get a bottle with a narrow neck, small mouth and fill it to the very tip-top with water. Place an index card over the mouth of the bottle and hold it on tightly, not letting any air slip in, as you turn the bottle upside down. (Do this in the bathtub.) Then, slip away the index card and keep trying until you get the water to stay up inside the bottle. So, go do that and then come back..... we'll wait..... no don't read ahead.... go on.....

If no air goes up inside the bottle, the water will remain suspended inside the bottle (for a little while). That's the trick.

That bottomless aquarium implies that it is also topless, since the air bubbler is running, that air is going someplace, out into the room... or it would be filling up the "aquarium" with air, displacing the water, if the aquarium were sealed on top, right? Okay, so there is not a lid on the top of the aquarium....

So it isn't like the bottle trick. The bottle, once you turn it upside down, only has an opening at the bottom and not the top. If air doesn't displace the water inside, the water stays up there (for a little while) in the bottle. Not so this bottomless aquarium.

The only way the water would stay up in that aquarium is if it the system were sealed and no air could get in.... it ain't sealed and air is getting in (the bubbler).... you can't stand water up just because it has aquarium glass sides around it..... just what part of "gravity" and "liquid" don't you understand :)

Besides, the fish swim funny............
Take care,
V Lou

I have:
2 kitties
lots of plants
V Lou

Next

Return to Habitat - Outdoor