Habitat - Outdoor :: Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:13 pm   Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

Hello all,

It is my intent to someday have at least one decent sized pond to keep several turtles in. I'd say between 12'x12' and 16'x16'. I plan to keep the turtles out there year 'round, so they will brumate in winter. I've never had a pond before, and I have concerns about weather extremes and natural disasters. Is there a way to build or prep a pond to withstand these natural variables? I understand severe enough disasters destroy towns, but if there are any ideas on how to help your pond survive nature then I am all ears.

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
Spike 7.62

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 pm   Re: Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

For weather extremes, just make it at least 2' to 3' deep.The turtles will hibernate under the ice line in the winter, and not over heat in the summer.
As per natural disasters, don't know what to tell you. I'd be more concerned about my life or my house and forget the pond.
jozzep

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:20 am   Re: Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

Yea a big natural disaster effects even natural ponds, you cant stop it but please tell us if you do somehow figure out away to protect your pond from some big disaster so you can make the news by doing this:

In Todays news:
Local town man Spike becomes hero. Spike saved his neighbors lives and himself by entering his turtle pond which protected them from an F3 Tornado which went through the neighborhood late yesterday. All houses were destroyed in the wake of the tornado but lucky for neighbors spike had his turtle pond prepared for just an emergency. More on this story at 10!

Lol I have an active imagination.(Also just to be clear in no way was i making fun of you or the question. I dont want a fight or something that seems to happen often on this forum. This just popped in my head as I was thinking)
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:29 am   Re: Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

hahahaha i love painteds or uhh diamonds response. and id go with 3feet deep in at least one spot in the pond, most places ive seen recommend 3-4ft but u have get away with 2. so i just always say go 3. although most the ponds i build for ppl r between 2 and 2.5ft
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:19 pm   Re: Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

Im all ears on this subject too. I plan on building a outdoor pond next spring and want the very best for my turts.
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:39 pm   Re: Preparing your pond for extreme weather/disaster

i feel like i should just type up a pond care sheet rather than repeat myself 6000 times haha.

if this pond is just for liek spring and summer, as it nothign will hibernate in it, go with at least 2ft deep that way its easier for temperatures for the most part to remain somewhat constant, and the water wont get too cold at night, although you can get away with shallower than 2ft
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Return to Habitat - Outdoor