Habitat - Outdoor :: How to make a basking for my turtles Help (pool)

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:48 pm   How to make a basking for my turtles Help (pool)

Hello there , im new to this wesbsite and i was wondering if you guys can help me out.
i want to create a medium to large basking area for my 4 turtles.
they are in a large hard plastic kiddie pool and will remain their until they get a bit bigger i will be upgrading to a pond like pool from Lowes.
The four turtles i have ive had them since they were quarter sized and well they all grew at diffrent times the biggest one right now is the size of my hand. the 2 smaller ones i got in april so they still have alot of time to grow.
as you can see i posted pictures of their set up and well i want them to have a large basking area were they can all four soak in the sun. right now they climb up the red bricks and soak in the sun but i want them to have an area were they can have a bit of dirt.something that can float on the water and stay in one place ( i will use the sucker items where they stay sucked at one spot.) can anybody suggest any materials that arent harmful for the turtles. this will just be temporary until i get all the money i need to buy the pond and items,ive already have everything planed and cant wait till i built it for them. :D . thank you.

p.s im sorry i do not know their ages as i got bought them off a man who fed them once a week :|
being an animal lover i couldnt see them in that condition so i bought them off the guy
but atleast they are happy living good :)

JessicaGus

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:04 am   Re: How to make a basking for my turtles Help (pool)

I don't believe the guy you got them from was doing such a bad job. Their shells are smooth and they look like the picture of health to me.

Try using a rubbermaid tub and fill it with dirt. Then place it in the middle and the weight of the dirt will keep it down. then make some kind of ramp for the turtles to climb to it.
jozzep

Return to Habitat - Outdoor