Habitat - Outdoor :: Tank cracked

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 pm   Tank cracked

Sorry I don't know where else to put this. I put this here because my tank is outside.

I was cleaning my aquarium and I lifted it but when I did it cracked theres a line down the middle.I was wondering if I should try fixing it myself. I saw some instructions online involving a caulk gun and silicone. I just bought this tank not even 2 months ago.

I just bought a filter and everything but now my 2 turtles are stuck in a 20 gallon rubbermaid container. :x
Attachments
Cracked.jpg
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm   Re: Tank cracked

with a crack that severe i would suggest not trying to seal it. id say just try to sell it as a reptile tank for like 20$ or something. sorry
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
rsour24

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:47 pm   Re: Tank cracked

You could always caulk it and cover it with electrical tape...but that would probably only be a temporary fix...how big is that tank? A 55 gallon?
55 Gal(US) tank,
One Female Red Eared Slider
Name: Brixie
Bought on February 6th, 2011
Peva

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:48 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Peva wrote:You could always caulk it and cover it with electrical tape...but that would probably only be a temporary fix...how big is that tank? A 55 gallon?

Its a 60 gallon
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:29 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Tanks usually should not be kept outside because the temp. change puts stress on the tank and this happens.

Where do you live?
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:33 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Linus wrote:Tanks usually should not be kept outside because the temp. change puts stress on the tank and this happens.

Where do you live?

I just squeezed it hard. I its 4 feet long and I thought I could carry it by myself.

My g/f has the same exact tank. Hers is cracked on one side too(she already bought another one)I was wondering if maybe I can take her tank and get the side of hers that is not cracked and remove the side of mine that is cracked and fix it that way. Just switch it.All I need is to remove the silicone.

Would this be cheaper to do?
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm   Re: Tank cracked

It might be but if you don't wanna take the chances of the whole side blowing out, I'd go for a new tank.

I have a 60G lying around if your in California.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:27 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Linus wrote:It might be but if you don't wanna take the chances of the whole side blowing out, I'd go for a new tank.

I have a 60G lying around if your in California.

What do you mean the side blowing out? That could happen? The tank is designed like a box it looks pretty easy to just take one side out but I've never done anything like that before.

I live in Socal like 30 min from LA
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:09 pm   Re: Tank cracked

It's possible if you don't seal it correctly.

I have a 120 Gallon I'm looking to sell for cheap.

I live in Burbank.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:25 am   Re: Tank cracked

I remember a quote from another thread about cracked tanks. Is it fixable? possible but then they had this to say:

Lets say its repairable but there is still a chance of it leaking or breaking. So imagine a friend comes over with a one gallon bucket and then dumps it on your floor for no reason and how angry you'd be. Now imagine 59 more friends come over and each dumped a gallon of water on your floor. Is it work the risk of having 60 gallons of water on your floor?

Play it safe get a new tank (upgrade if you can) then sell it as a reptile tank to recoop some money. There are plenty of people out there who buy cracked tanks for lizards that don't need water in their environment. Myself I have a cracked 33 gallon hex tank for a crested gecko
shortt

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:56 am   Re: Tank cracked

shortt wrote:I remember a quote from another thread about cracked tanks. Is it fixable? possible but then they had this to say:

Lets say its repairable but there is still a chance of it leaking or breaking. So imagine a friend comes over with a one gallon bucket and then dumps it on your floor for no reason and how angry you'd be. Now imagine 59 more friends come over and each dumped a gallon of water on your floor. Is it work the risk of having 60 gallons of water on your floor?

Play it safe get a new tank (upgrade if you can) then sell it as a reptile tank to recoop some money. There are plenty of people out there who buy cracked tanks for lizards that don't need water in their environment. Myself I have a cracked 33 gallon hex tank for a crested gecko

I guess I could sell it even though the tank is outside so if the water spills its no biggie. But if the turtles go along with the water I'm screwed.
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:42 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Completely missed the fact the tank is out doors. Sounds like an awesome excuse to buy a big stock tank :)
shortt

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Or to buy my 120 Gallon tank for $75 lol
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:47 pm   Re: Tank cracked

Now, that's a bargain.
55 gallon tank with a 4.5 inch RES, 2 Sarrassa Comets, 2 Red Tetras, 1 Giant Danio, 1 Black Fin Tetra, 1 Rosey Red, 2 Golden Chinese Algae Eaters, 1 Pleco, and 4 red claw crabs... too much? Ok, I'll get a bigger tank.
ErikP

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:53 pm   Re: Tank cracked

I sealed the tank with Guerilla Glue thats suppose to work on glass.Its no longer leaking. The total cost was 7 bucks. I'm so happy :lol:
60 Gallon
RES Shelly 1 1/2 yrs old
RES Toby 6 months old
Jessemoreno

Next

Return to Habitat - Outdoor