Habitat - Outdoor :: too much algae chemical

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:10 pm   too much algae chemical

I added some Algae Relief to my new pond and it cleared the water up nicely, but also killed my minnow and my goldfish jumped out to his death over night. I can only assume I put in too much of the chemical. Is the water unsafe for my new little turtle? Is there a way to test if the chemical content is at a safe level for a turtle, or do turtles care about chemicals in the water? I just got the little guy today from a neighbor who couldn't keep it. I don't wanna kill him! :(
orangesforadam

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:51 pm   Re: too much algae chemical

I would get the little guy out, his eyes could be affected, and they drink the water. Could you set up a temporary habitat inside until you get the pond back to normal?
happycamper

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 pm   Re: too much algae chemical

I would probably drain and refill. Could you use something like a UV filter instead?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:38 pm   Re: too much algae chemical

With some good filtration, algae killer is not a good idea. It's been known to be very harmful and why it's still on the market, I do not know.

I would definitely upgrade your water pump. Try looking up some videos on youtube, there are people on there who are experts at pond maintenance and will provide excellent advice on getting rid of algae.

I can make a pond in a glass aquarium, but I know next to nothing about doing it outside.
Spike - Egyptian mau mix, 8 years old
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 9 months old
Hurricane - RES, 8 yo, 6 1/2 in. long
Typhoon - RES/Map hybrid, 8 yo, 7 in. long
Sadie - RES, 20 yo, 10 in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 5 yo, 5 ft. long
theartbook35

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:25 am   Re: too much algae chemical

theartbook35 wrote:With some good filtration, algae killer is not a good idea. It's been known to be very harmful and why it's still on the market, I do not know.

I would definitely upgrade your water pump. Try looking up some videos on youtube, there are people on there who are experts at pond maintenance and will provide excellent advice on getting rid of algae.

I can make a pond in a glass aquarium, but I know next to nothing about doing it outside.

Because (no offense to the OP) people are lazy and cheap lol They want the easy way out, and algae killer is quick, simple, and for the stated use, effective.

Again, no offense to the OP, you probably didn't know, or were misinformed by the ever-so-knowledgeable salesmen at petstores lol But I agree with the draining and refilling if possible, and get the turtle out as quick as possible.
RESAddict

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 am   Re: too much algae chemical

Now I know to not buy Algae killer!
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
Ranger The Red Ear Slider

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:37 am   Re: too much algae chemical

Just avoid adding chemicals into the water. Alternatives are usually more expensive, but can be safer and just as effective.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor