Habitat - Outdoor :: my turtles keep getting in my skimmer box???

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 pm   my turtles keep getting in my skimmer box???

Our turtles keep getting in my skimmer box and escaping by pushing the lid off. I have put a big log on the skimmer box lid so they can't open that but what do I do so they can't get in the skimmer box with out defeating the purpose of the skimmer. I tried a small piece of chain link fence cut to size but they just tore that off. Need some ideas that won't affect the skimmer.....
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:10 am   Re: my turtles keep getting in my skimmer box???

What kind of skimmer do you have?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:09 am   Re: my turtles keep getting in my skimmer box???

Its a savio.
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:55 pm   Re: my turtles keep getting in my skimmer box???

Not sure what size of skimmer you have, not that it makes a huge difference. Are you able to remove the faceplate from the skimmer, and add a screen that the face plate would bolt through? Or can you add a screen that would screw into the faceplate of the skimmer. I was thinking something like a cut piece of a milk crate.

I have a Savio skimmer, and so far the RES don't go near it. Its impressive that yours can pop the lid off.

Cheers

Dave
CoaXiL

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 am   Re: my turtles keep getting in my skimmer box???

These are probably 4-5 year old paint turtles. I have set a big log on the lid so they can't pop the lid off anymore. We just know now that if we can't find the turtles, check the skimmer box. I just the full plate on the box that the hinged door attaches to, no other face plate on. They crawl on top of where you can add uv lights in the box.
3 baby RES
brandonsdad02

Return to Habitat - Outdoor