Habitat - Outdoor :: I give up!

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm   I give up!

I have given up on trying to get my ladies to bask outside. Everytime I take them out they dive in the water or spend all their time trying to get out of their inclosure. I am afraid that they will hurt themselves. Also, they zip around their tank frantically when I bring them back in. I am worried that I am putting them under to much stress, so no more attempts. Bummer!
rana

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 pm   Re: I give up!

what are you putting them in? if you go to walmart and buy one of those 600 gal kid pools for like 20$ you can leave them in there 24/7 and they will get used to it in a day or two and bask ALL day while the sun is out. It takes them a bit to get used to the change and when you take them out and back in and out it dont help much on getting them used to it.
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:45 pm   Re: I give up!

I am not allowed to have a pool of any type where I live, the landlord pays for the water. I would love to have a pool like that saw it at Walmart the other day.
rana

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:46 pm   Re: I give up!

lol really? that is wack! do u live in a house or a apt?
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:19 pm   Re: I give up!

How big is their container?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm   Re: I give up!

I live in a trailer park. I have a large cage that I put a tub of water in and built the floor up to meet it so that they can get in and out easily. The whole thing is probably 3 ft by 2 ft. Tub of water is 2 ft long, and a foot deep. One of them actually came out of the water today tried to climb up the side of the cage and flipped onto her back. That is why I do not leave them out when I am gone. I go in the house and watch them from the window. Any other ideas?
rana

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:52 pm   Re: I give up!

If you leave them out for short periods, you do not need to leave water for them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 am   Re: I give up!

I guess I would just like them to get used to being out and not continually try to find a way out. I see the pics of others turtles just laying there basking and I wanted mine to be able to just relax and do the same. If its just going to stress them out it defeats the purpose really.
rana

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 am   Re: I give up!

It's pretty typical for them to want to get out of new surroundings.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor