Habitat - Outdoor :: Need Advice on filter

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:26 pm   Need Advice on filter

I have acquired 2 baby red-eared sliders.... never had turtles before in my life, I love them already! Setup is going to be a 100-gallon stock tank, outside, on a covered porch, in Central Texas. I will have about 75 gallons of water in the tank because I will have a wire lid on the tank to keep the racoons and other critters out. After researching filters online, I had decided on Rena Filstar XP4 canister Power Filter. I then saw a video on YouTube on how to install this filter, and it stated that the filter must be at least 24” below the level of the water. My tank is not raised from ground level, it is sitting on concrete patio. The filter will need to sit next to it (ground level). I asked the salesperson at the local pet store, she said it is no problem to set the filter to the side of the tank, it will work just fine there. I’m wondering if she was just trying to sell me a filter, or if she is correct. Any advice on if this filter will work, or if there would be a better filter for my setup. I am not a handy-woman, and do not have a handyman… so I don’t want to get something I have to build, like a "Do It Yourself". Also… will I need a heater in the winter? Thank you for any advice!
Poppie1003

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am   Re: Need Advice on filter

It can work. Some people keep their tanks on the floor and run their canisters next to it. To main issue is that it's harder to prime the filter when it's next to the tank. I also believe that the motor has to work a bit harder to run.

A heater is always recommended when there will be temperature changes.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor