Habitat - Outdoor :: Need help...with algae

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:03 pm   Need help...with algae

My husband & I moved into a house in the Albq. NM area last fall. We found a pond in the backyard, decided to clean it up & enjoy the water feature. Only to find a turtle (RES) living in it. The house had not been lived in for some time, & we discovered the turtle had lived on birds & bugs. I will try to attach a pic of original pond. After cleaning, & re-introducing turtle (Lucky), lucky we found him, back into the pond. NM went into the coldest winter in 90 yrs. (see pic) temps went down to -9 degrees. Lucky lived through winter :D & We committed to keep him going, healthy & happy. We have put in a new larger pre-formed pond liner, 135 gal, new pump & filter, air bubble stones (2-5" flat airstones) live underwater plants, & umbrellas to block direct sunlight. We are in the process of creating a "play yard" basking area that is fenced in with large basking stone, sand area, & a small feeding pond that can be easily cleaned. Just recently, learned of this website, & believe Lucky is not a he, he is a she.
Now here is my big question...How do we keep the algae from growing in the pond!? I have purchased sucker fish, (which Lucky eats), moss balls (atleast 6), umbrellas, air stones, cleaning, feeding outside the pond (in an aquarium), plants, Oh PS there are some feeder fish that have survived "Lucky" & live in the pond too. I have considered the pet store algae eliminators, but don't want to use due to the chemicals, & I'm pretty sure it wouldnt be good for fish & turtles (even though it says its OK) PLEASE HELP...
? dont know how to attach the photos.
vinehillBarb

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:32 pm   Re: Need help...with algae

If you're doing all of the above and algae is still a problem then you should try a UV sterilizer. This is the primary topic regarding algae issues: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28813

For photos, you can upload through the Full Editor or Post Reply buttons. If not, you can link it from a 3rd party site (tinypic.com, imgur.com, photobucket.com. etc). Feel free to email me those pics too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:02 pm   Re: Need help...with algae

Thanks Steve for the link & info. If what I have in place now dosn't work I will try the UV sterilizer. This is certainly a work in progress.
Attachments
100_3023.jpg
clean pond, happy turtle
100_2990.jpg
turtle discovery, see under solar light
100_2962.JPG
move in day original pond
vinehillBarb

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:05 pm   Re: Need help...with algae

more pics of the work in progress
Attachments
100_3422.jpg
Happy "Lucky"
100_3431.jpg
new pond
100_3108.jpg
cold winter, -9 degrees
vinehillBarb

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 pm   Re: Need help...with algae

You'll need to have something to prevent escape and protect from predators. You 'll probably want to consider temporary indoor accommodations for when the temperature drops.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:49 pm   Re: Need help...with algae

Wow how did lucky survive that? o_O
valladin82

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 am   Re: Need help...with algae

I know, we were sooo surprised & happy. I kept the fountain/waterfall running all winter so the water wouldnt freeze all the way. This year/winter lucky "Lucky" will be coming inside & stay in a 55 gal tank.
vinehillBarb

Return to Habitat - Outdoor