Habitat - Outdoor :: outdoor aquarium

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:29 pm   outdoor aquarium

hello everyone, im new to this forum. i just spent the last few hours reading the posts on this forum and learning a lot. I have a RES that i keep in a 100 gallon plexiglas tank. Recently, i have been watching lots of youtube vids on turtle ponds and outdoor enclosures so i want to do something similar for my turtle. Unfortunately, i cannot build a pond since i dont own the house where i live but i was wondering if it would be ok to move the aquarium outside. currently i keep the water level at about 25-30 gallons but if take it outside, i will fill up to about 75-85 gallons. my main concerns are the water and ambient temperature inside the tank. I live in Los Angeles so it get kinda warm in summer and in winter it get a little cold. Im not too concerned about the cold since i can always upgrade to a better heater to keep the water comfortable but im not sure about in summer. im not looking to make turtle stew. any comments would be appreciated. please forgive the quality of my pics but here you are:
Attachments
P1020023.JPG
P1020021.JPG
nameless_5r

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:40 pm   Re: outdoor aquarium

Never keep animals in an aquarium outdoors. What kind of spot will he get outdoors? Do you have a yard? A simple but very good idea is a large stock tank for him.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:42 pm   Re: outdoor aquarium

steve wrote:Never keep animals in an aquarium outdoors.

is there a specific reason?
steve wrote:What kind of spot will he get outdoors? Do you have a yard? A simple but very good idea is a large stock tank for him.

I do have a yard but i can't build a pond because i don't own the house. plus my dogs would get in there and eat the turlte so I can only set it up at the side of the house. I'm thinking of using the same aquarium, but im going to build a base for it. Im also planning on filling it up to about 80% so im going to cover half the aquarium to give it shade and a hiding place.
nameless_5r

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:15 pm   Re: outdoor aquarium

The Glass, or acrylic in this case will bend and become brittle with all the temp. changes.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 pm   Re: outdoor aquarium

^and the temperature changes are bad for the turtle. Even if you did cover up part of the tank, that would just act as an insulator for heat.
3 RES- Sajko, Lajzi, and Nacho
2 Kitty Cats- Lolcat and Bear
Kurtni

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:13 pm   Re: outdoor aquarium

thanks guys, looks like my turtle is staying inside for the time being. i will see if i can figure out a way to take her out without digging for a pond and without having to buy something expensive. thanks for the input. i will keep reading and learning from you guys.
nameless_5r

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:53 pm   Re: outdoor aquarium

the stock tank idea is generally not very expensive- I'd look into it.
Touche the Turtle

Return to Habitat - Outdoor