Habitat - Outdoor :: Our 1,400 gal pond

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:14 am   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Sorry for the lack of response, been busy!
Steve,
The turtles can get out on their beach but there are some rock barriers that they have scaled yet so we feel safe they are not getting out.
Algae control was helped by adding the 18 watt UV light which kills or sterilizes the floating algae. Also scheduled applications of Green Clean's Granular Algacide.
Tokapeli,
The liner was the largest Home Depot sold at 15x20 $100.
Liner for Waterfall, $30
Little Giant GPH Ponds Skimmer $184
Cal 18 Watt UV light- pond clarifier/sterilizer $215
Little Giant Pump Pond Filter for 1200 Gal Pond $171
PVC-Fittings-Valves etc. $?? Maybe another $100.
Total is probably about $800 - $900. Estimate to have professional do it, $6,000!!!!
TomT

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:46 am   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Oh the rub is, now we have a design for our backyard which includes moving the location of the pond!
Hmmm, had to pray about that one for a few days before I agreed!
So if we are moving it, might as well make it bigger, right?!
Yeah the new one will be about 14' wide by 20' long! Which means we'l also be going to the Phoenix Herpatological Society to adopt at least one more RES!
TomT

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 am   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

tom were r u at? im in casa grande AZ. if ur close 2 me broskie you should go herping with me n my buddys. we find LOADS of stuff. PM me
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:13 pm   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

TomT wrote:The liner was the largest Home Depot sold at 15x20 $100.

If you do indeed move the pond, I would recommend getting a 45 mil EPDM liner instead of the PVC liner. The PVC liner is not safe for fish and turtles. Plus turtles' claws and beaks can easily rip through PVC. The 45 mil EPDM is much thicker and stronger, plus it is fish and turtle safe. A 15' x 20' EPDM liner will probably cost about $170 - $200, but it is worth the piece of mind. Plus it comes with a 25 year warranty.

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:24 pm   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Beautiful set up. Always jealous of everyone with the warmer year round climates.
- Jordan
Loki047

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:51 am   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

SINI5T3R wrote:tom were r u at? im in casa grande AZ. if ur close 2 me broskie you should go herping with me n my buddys. we find LOADS of stuff. PM me

We are near 7th St & Bell Rd, North Phoenix!

michaelg wrote:If you do indeed move the pond, I would recommend getting a 45 mil EPDM liner instead of the PVC liner. The PVC liner is not safe for fish and turtles. Plus turtles' claws and beaks can easily rip through PVC. The 45 mil EPDM is much thicker and stronger, plus it is fish and turtle safe. A 15' x 20' EPDM liner will probably cost about $170 - $200, but it is worth the piece of mind. Plus it comes with a 25 year warranty.
-Michael

Yes I was looking at the Firestone EPDM liners. Will require a 25 x 30 liner because we are going 3' deep throughout. The turts need the deeper water here when it gets hot. I will make some improvements too. More underwater caves, by taking a new sewer pipe an cut in half, larger rock island, another slanted log etc. the list goes on! They really like being able to get under the island, gives then a feeling of safety I'm sure.
Going from 1,400 gal to about 3,600! Might need bigger pump, which would mean bigger skimmer, and I'll add automatic water fill. Previous system wasn't working. I found short brass float shutoff at Home Depot, it is made for swamp cooler, and it'll fit into skimmer so I won't need another hole in liner.

Any other ideas or suggestions let me know!
TomT

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:42 pm   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Yes, hiding places are definitely important. I have two, one for each turtle. However, the larger hiding place is large enough for several turtles and they both usually hide together.

The only other suggestion would be to cover the skimmer. Food will drift to the skimmer and your turtles might get lazy and wait by the skimmer for the food to get there. Be sure to put a screen or some egg crate over the skimmer so the turtles can't get sucked into it and drowned.

You can also check with a pool supply company for the auto filler. You can get systems that just hang over the side that you adjust the height and it will automatically keep filled to that level. If you can get the auto filler you found at Home Depot to work, it would be ideal since no one will see it.

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:52 pm   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Very impressive
2-R3S Buster & Eugene
1-African Side-Neck Herman
1- Nicaraguan Slider
1- Concentric Diamondback Terrapin
:D 5 total

RIP Samus
Moose

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 am   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

I love that log idea. I've been searching for adequate basking things for my guys and they don't seem to like anything I put out there. Is it just regular wood? I think I need to find some big branches.
Outside Pond Boys: :mrgreen:Timmy & Chewy & Ike
Outside Pond Girls: :msgreen:Betty & Frick & Frack & Tina & Nyrtle-Sweetpea
Inside Tank: :mrgreen:Sheldon :msgreen: Mork :msgreen: Mindy
Nursery: :?: Baby Timmy & Ranger
apondfortimmy

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:20 pm   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

It was a small log of unknown wood. I soaked it in a tub for a week to make sure there wasn't any issue with anything leaching out of the wood. I changed that water every two days.
Then I cut the log in half and used long gols wood screws to screw the pieces together. It gets pretty heavy once water logged. I cut the grooves to help them climb up. It kind of has a three point, wide stance, leg system so it can't tip over. Legs were cut to fit where I wanted it in the pond. Just deep enough, and angled, so they can get on it but still high enough that they can get totaly dry. Smaller turtles wouldn't need it so deep or as large.
All three of ours are now HUGE! They do love to eat!
TomT

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:19 pm   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Hope your turtles are doing great! They have, in my opinion, one of the best ponds on here. Sooo big!

new pictures?!
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 am   Re: Our 1,400 gal pond

Thanks for sharing.. amazing work there!
Proud Owner of 3 RES
Ronnie- Caramel Pink res
Petals - Pastel Res
Chloe-Albino Res
Pinky- Pink belled Sideneck
swiltz

Previous

Return to Habitat - Outdoor