Habitat - Outdoor :: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 am   HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

About 4 months ago I rescued 2 full size RES from a home in which they were kept in the dark, no heater, no light. Romeo and Juliet are inseparable, and a couple weeks ago I noticed Juliet was scratching in her turtle topper with her back legs, which from what I've read it means she wants to lay eggs. She has never laid eggs that I know of. I have a large 1100 gallon outdoor pond that currently has several gold fish and one large koi. I have spent the last few days getting my pond area ready for the turtles. It has several basking areas, including a bridge which I made a docking area underneath the bridge so they can rest while in the water as well. There's plants, and plenty of dirt and basking areas outside the water as well. And since I have hawks and a raccoon in my area, I also made it completely enclosed. Now for my question. I live in Woodland California, which is near Sacramento. The current temperature has changed from the 70s during the day to now its rainy and in the 50s with 40s/30s coming at night next week. I don't know what the water temperature is in the pond the depth goes from 2-4ft deep. I can't find anything online that tells me if it's ok or not to release them in the pond now or if I have to wait until things heat up. And if it's ok, should I reduce the temperature in their tank now so they can start to adjust to the cold? I really want to get them out of their temperary 55 gallon tank, as it is too small and my Fluval filter cannot keep up with the cleaning. And of course, I'm very proud of the kingdom I have made for them! :) So please if anyone can tell me....is it ok to release them? Should I do anything different? Thank you so much! I'm a beginner at all this.
Tracey
disp5149

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 am   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

I am about to put all my turtles outside also reguardless of temps. I do it the same way always. I take them and put them in something during the day outside for an hour. So their body temps cool to outside lvl then release them into the cold water. Never had one get sick or anything doing it this way the last 4years. Heck even one year temps dropped that lair of ice formed again. Turtle made it through fine.

If you think the one has eggs. I would not put that one in the pond. I dont think that would be a good idea. I think she would read its a bad time to lay her eggs and hold them.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

She stopped scratching about a week ago...so maybe she was just simply scratching? I don't see any other signs she may be pregnant. The previous owners both say shes never laid eggs, but then again shes only been in an aquarium with no dirt or anything to bury them in. Should I put some dirt in the pond so they can bury themselves if it is too cold? Or will some leaves be good enough?
disp5149

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:14 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

As long as temps dont plan on going to freezing your fine with nothing. One guy i know has a concrete pond. Turtles hibernate every year with nothing to bury into. I hibernated mine with nothing to bury into also. I find you dont need it
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

I would wait until later in the spring. Turtles need to aclimate. The water is probably in the 50's. My RES stays outside all year round because she is used to it. I wait until the outside temp. is in the 80's to bring my other turtle out.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
1 F Belize Slider 7" (Agamemnon)
My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/condorboy1/videos
Linus

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

I will just say i really disagree.
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

i think linus' way is less stressful for the turtles, but if your confident in your turt like db4l is, go for it.
sunlight is a thousand times better than uvb bulbs. 8)
Gracie Turts

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:25 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

They are RES and most likely will be fine. But there is a chance of RI due to the temp. change. RI is not fun to deal with and can be fatal (and expensive), trust me, I've experienced it 3 times with 1 death.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:00 am   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

It isnt a rapid temp change. Turtles are used to going from basking to cool water usually 15 to 20 degree difference. Its rapid changes in water temps that effects them or warm water and cool air greater then 15 degrees.. Bad mixtures. Going from normal warm temps to cool water wont give them ri. This is not fact but i am very confident. Ive talked with others about these ways and never had a problem. Lets say there is a chance for a ri. I think its very low because we can say i did this experiment over 30 times now. Just like a turtle not be able to lay its eggs. So many posts of good lays. Currently have one having a problem. So rare. Just saying this to add in better insight into my answer.
Diamondbacks4Life

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

What is RI? Sorry, I'm new to all this. I did release them yesterday, and have seen one poke his head out of the water about an hour later, but haven't seen both at the same time. I usually fed them twice a day, not sure if thats over feeding since I could not find how many times a day to feed them. I do know they beg, and I know not to feed them pellets more then the size of their heads. I usually fed them pellets one day, then crickets, blood worms or meal worms the next day. They don't seem to eat any dandelions or lettuce. This morning when I fed my fish, I left a few crickets at the other end of the pond for them, but I don't think they eat much when it's cold. All I can do now is hope for the best and I see them more active in the spring. I hope the sun comes out soon, I'm dieing to watch them ! The pond is right outside a large sliding glass door and glass wall, so they are visible from my living room which will be relaxing to watch! Thank you for all your help!
disp5149

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 pm   Re: HELP moving from indoor aquarium to outdoor pond

Respitory Infection.

The turtles would start leaning to one side. Bubbles coming out of there nose while basking. Spending the whole day out of the water.
1 F RES 9" (Kingler)
My Youtube Channel:
Linus

Return to Habitat - Outdoor