Habitat - Outdoor :: 500Gal pond Pic Update

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 pm   500Gal pond Pic Update

ok so i thought id have some cool build threat to post but it actually turned out not being as much as i thought. So i took a bunch of pictures and will explain each pic if its not self explanitory ;)

This is my homemade Filter that would be my 2nd Filter Stage. This is still under construction and is not currently running water throught it. I need to get some sort of water tight sealent to seal the lid of the can ontop of the large filter that way water does not run through and I also need to figure out what I will use to put alot of water out at one time. May need a big tube or something of that nature. Any ideas would be helpful.

Closer pic. Its got many packs of activated carbon which is what the water would hit first and then I got a bunch of fluff and like this stuff used for pillows and then this big bag of like pillow package made for the seats on like pattio chairs, it came in slices and is pretty good for filteration. Then under that its like another thicker version of the fluff made for pattio furniture. its not like the loose stuff you see on the top which is also packed down alot. there is many many layers of each in this. 3 different types in layers. Will work super nice once I get it set up and working.

this is the outtake and intake of my pond filter stage 1

This is my Stage 1 Filter. its got Bio Balls, two different types of pad in it and also a UV Sterelizer. This thing works AWESOME! its the only filter running at the moment since my Garbage can filter is not up and running and its doing a sweet job at it too.

This is the box for my filter. thought id give you all the info you would need to see what all its doing in there. As you can see in the pic it shows how it works. Its a great filter. cost about 179.99$ from homedepot in the pond section. iT Does not self suck water in it so you would have to have a water pump. I learned the hard way LOL

This is my Pump. Its a pretty decent pump. cost about 50$ which ant too bad. It depends on how high the tube goes on to how much it pumps out but mine ant going too high in the air so im pretty sure its doing 300 or more GPH easily.

This is my basking spot. its been a little updated this morning with some extra brick I picked up from our other house. It has plenty of holes to hide in which they LOVE to use as you can see that little guy watching what im doing. They LOVE basking. My big guys are the most confortable with basking while people walk around. The little guys are the ones that get super scared and fly in the holes lol

guess what this is....lol..its my Plant nursery. I have a bunch of Anarchids or how ever you spell that in there. there are two large hand holes on the sides that i blocked with rocks so my little guys cant get in there but there are a bunch of holes for my fish to get in if they need a quick turtle escape. They seem to not really mess with the plants. Im hopeing they start multiplying like crazy in this and then ill start taking a few out here and there and try to stretigicly plant them so the turtles wont really mess with them which I know is a long shot. The plants look pretty nice in it tho so Im realllllllyyyy hopeing they survive and flurish.

This is one of two Algae Eaters I have in my pond. I throw some algae wafers in there once in a while but other then that they usually try to eat the turtle pellets when i throw them in there. They are HUGE fish and they seem to love eachother. they follow eachother around and they always try to lay on top of eachother. I dont know if this is a breeding attempt or what But they seem to be easily breeding size.

Well, thats all the pictures I took. Will take more later on as i update my pond with more rocks and stuff like that. What do you guys think? Questions and Criticism Welcome, Tell me if you dont like something or you think something should be different, Id love to hear it and would not get mad as other minds are welcome to make this pond better :)
DarkGenoc1de on Playstation Network
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 pm   Re: 500Gal pond Pic Update

Well the pic of the filter box made my feeble mind spin - the pic is upside-down (or is my mind warped?) :lol:
I am glad you take pride in your endeavor.
I love the way they fit in the little crooks and crannies of the bricks (I remember when Penelope was that small)
Great job!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:07 am   Re: 500Gal pond Pic Update

yeah they love going in the holes. the big ones fit if they go in side way a little haha
SINI5T3R

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:41 pm   Re: 500Gal pond Pic Update

Do you know what the "fluff" is made of? I would be concerned with whether or not it was treated with chemicals since it is designed for outdoor furniture.

If you can make the outlet large enough in the garbage can, you probably don't need to worry about sealing the lid. It's not under pressure, so the lid's main purpose is to keep things out of the filter. You can probably get 1" or even larger PVC that should allow water to move out quicker than the smaller hose you are currently using.

Are you using any Bio-media in the trash can or is it just charcoal and "fluff"?

How is the UV sterilizer working out for you? I bought a 9W inline sterilizer made by Beckett and it's working great so far. It says it is designed for pumps with a flow of 400 gph to 800 gph. My pump is flowing at 300 gph, but it is keeping the water clear. Once it gets real hot here, if it's struggling to keep up, I will get a larger pump just for the sterilizer. The nice thing about this unit is that it can also accept a 13W UV bulb, doubling the amount of water it can sterilizer.

-Michael
Sweeney & Pascal - RES Hatchlings & Martha - 2 yo YBS
Find out more about us at our - Turtle Blog & TurtleCam
michaelg

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:45 pm   Re: 500Gal pond Pic Update

the sterilizer is sweet. clearest pond iv ever had thats for sure. i asked someone if it had chemicals n they said no.
SINI5T3R

Return to Habitat - Outdoor