Habitat - Outdoor :: Ethel and Bertha's Outdoor Turtleland (Pic Heavy)

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:26 pm   Ethel and Bertha's Outdoor Turtleland (Pic Heavy)

Quite a lot has happened since the last time I posted on Turtle Talk! Unfortunately Fred passed away. I feel mostly responsible for not being able to provide UVB light for a number of years. I wasn't home when it happened and my boyfriend thought he might have gotten caught under the new much larger basking platform and wasn't able to get out. I felt awful. I was in the process of building the outdoor pond enclosure for them when it happened. So I continued in his memory :(

A friend at work who knows I have a soft spot for animals and also that I was building the enclosure asked if I could take his nephew's "Mississippi Map turtle" I obliged since I had planned the area for two water turtles. I went to pick her up and she was in a 10g tank with no basking area, no way to get out of the water and no lights. She had lived that way for three years and had a horribly deformed shell. (Wait, that's not the worst part) She belonged to a 7 yr old and was constantly picked up and dropped. She had a deep cut in her shell and her spine was visible.

(Still not the worst part) So I got her home, introduced her into the indoor tank and was amazed by her almost unwillingness to leave the dock.

She basked and basked and I took pictures and started to think, Mississippi Map turtles sure look funny...

(here it is:) She's a Gulf Coast Box Turtle. She lived in a couple inches of water for 3 years. Her shell is so flat I didn't even realize at first she was a box turtle.

She's about the same size as Ethel:

Here's their new outdoor home:

She enjoys a delicious box turtle appropriate meal, this one included cantaloupe which attracted ants! Double treat!

Ethel loves the little pond. (It's only about 40 gallons plus a waterfall) She gets lettuce scraps from the garden next door (and strawberries etc)

Here's a picture of her with Fred :cry:
>>kate<<
1.0.0 Red Eared Slider: Ethel
0.1.0 Gulf Coast Box Turtle: Bertha
0.0.1 False Tomato Frog:: Paco
1.0.1 Albino ACFs: Guillermo and Carlos
1.0.0 Pit Bull Terrier: Rocco
1.0.0 Black Lab/Mastiff: Bert
1.0.0 Orange Kitten: Baxter
kmichael55

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:41 pm   Re: Ethel and Bertha's Outdoor Turtleland (Pic Heavy)

Hi Kate! Sorry to hear about Fred :( Glad you rescued Bertha, she has a neat new home!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 pm   Re: Ethel and Bertha's Outdoor Turtleland (Pic Heavy)

Thanks, Steve, I'm so excited to finally have an outdoor home for them, I just wish Fred could have reaped the benefits...he was the reason I was building it :|
>>kate<<
kmichael55

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:07 pm   Re: Ethel and Bertha's Outdoor Turtleland (Pic Heavy)

What do you think I should do about the shell?? Right now I'm just letting the sun work it's magic. She hardly ever soaks in her water dish and when she does it's so shallow it doesn't reach the holes, cracks, etc. so I'm not too worried there.
>>kate<<
kmichael55

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 pm   Re: Ethel and Bertha's Outdoor Turtleland (Pic Heavy)

Im glad you figured out hat it wasnt a box turtle. I was about to have a heart attack here. Still upset that previous owner thought it was a map turtle argh. Poor little girl her shell is so bad for a box turtle. Nothing you cqan do for the shell just let the sun do its thing and she will have proper growth from now on.
Instagram: Diamondbacks4Life
Diamondbacks4Life

Return to Habitat - Outdoor