Habitat - Outdoor :: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:03 pm   Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

Hello everyone! I've decided to get a cheap kiddie pool for $12 dollars at walmart. It says it holds 258 gallons of water. But, I need to know how to make the pool escape proof and predator proof. I was wondering if using large blocks of wood placed around the pool in a way that will keep him in would work... My turtle, Skit is 3 inches long. Any ideas?

The pool is 6' round and 15" tall. Would it work okay? It's hard sided not blow up.
Don't you sit and judge me from some high and mighty seat. Don't you shrug it off until you've walked a mile in my bare feet. 'Cause there are people that you pass by every day with harder cards than yours in life to play.
Silvermist464

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:35 am   Re: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

Hmm... Anyone know where to find a good general foam kiddie pool? The biggest I can find is 3 foot in diameter and 7 inches in height... Not big enough.. I've looked at walmart, meijer, home-depot... The only place close to me that sells them is sears and when I was looking on their page it said, for a general foam 60" little kiddie pool, $285.05. REALLY??? I could buy a nice big pool for that price!

Please, help me! I'm going to go crazy! All anyone sells are those easy set pools and the blow up ones. Niether of them will work for a turtle... Well maybe the easy set but not for long... :(
Don't you sit and judge me from some high and mighty seat. Don't you shrug it off until you've walked a mile in my bare feet. 'Cause there are people that you pass by every day with harder cards than yours in life to play.
Silvermist464

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 am   Re: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

I bought a 6 foot plastic kiddie pool for our dog at Ace hardware. It was less than $20. All the summer stuff should be on clearance now.
Looks like this http://blujay.com/item/Kiddie-Pool-11180000-4221557 and is made of rigid plastic. Try toy stores too. I wouldn't use foam or inflatables types as the turtle may just chew through them.
devilduck

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:32 pm   Re: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

hmm.. I'll stop by ace next time I'm in town. No one seems to have any good pools.. Thanks
Silvermist464

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:47 pm   Re: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

My local hardware store and toys r us had some cheap prices on plastic pools. Garden sections also have hard plastic netting that might work as some protection. Do you plan on leaving them out overnight?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:00 pm   Re: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

Most likely.... I don't really want to but he needs more space... I might just take him out when I get up in the morning and bring him back in when I go to sleep at night. I'll see if I can stop at Toys-R-us later.
Silvermist464

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:58 pm   Re: Predator proofing my turtle's pool.

I wouldn't use something like a kiddie pool for overnight keeping... those would be pretty hard to secure against tougher predators.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Outdoor